Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How to determine links to external files or spreadsheets

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone was aware of any technique that would
be able to determine if a particular spreadsheet contained any references to
external files or had any formulas or macros/projects that referenced
another file?

We want to customize a document management system to be able to "link" a
file to all the other files it may reference.

Example: I want to check in a file called 123.xls.
I must first open the file and "somehow" interrogate it to determine if
there are any references (embedded images, charts, formulas, macros, etc) to
another file so I can record in the database that a reference or file
dependency exists.

Likewise, when I check out a file, I need to be able to bring out these
dependent files so the spreadsheet doesn't error out due to the links.

Anyone seen anything like this or have any great ideas?

Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jim,

Try Bill Manville's FindLink Addin which may be downloaded, free of charge,
at:

http://www.oaltd.co.uk/MVP/Default.htm

---
Regards,
Norman

"Jim" <. wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think this only works in more recent versions of Excel, with EditLinks in
the menus.

Dim strLinks() As String

strLinks = ActiveWorkbook.LinkSources(xlExcelLinks)

For a = 0 To UBound(strLinks, 1)
Debug.Print strLinks(a)
Next a

Then do it again for xlOLELinks.

[...]