Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Use of CHOOSE? appropriate?

Need to shorten this to add a few more possibilities at the moment it will
only handle "EI" and "EW" but I need it to handle 3 or four more. Was
thinking a table of some sort based on the piece of the lookup cell I want to
look at but have no real idea of where to start

Hope you can follow the arguments it is very much on the edge of my own
experience level

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("EW",'Previous Project'!A5)),IF(ISERROR(FIND("EI",'Previous
Project'!A5)),'Previous Project'!A5,IF(ISERROR(FIND("R",'Previous
Project'!A5)),REPLACE('Previous Project'!A5,SEARCH("-",'Previous
Project'!A5),1,"*-"),REPLACE('Previous Project'!A5,(SEARCH("R",'Previous
Project'!A5))+1,SEARCH("-",'Previous Project'!A5)-SEARCH("R",'Previous
Project'!A5),"*-")))," ")
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi RADIOOZ,

Your formula indicates that the relationship between the '"EW" and "EI"
tests is hierarchical. If so, you may have to stick with the nested IF
tests. But be aware you're limited to 7 of those.

If the tests aren't meant to be hierarchical, you may be able to use:
=IF(OR(ISERROR(FIND("EW",A5),ISERROR(FIND("EI",A5) )),A5, etc
if any one of the error conditions is sufficient to trigger the 'TRUE'
response, or
=IF(AND(ISERROR(FIND("EW",A5),ISERROR(FIND("EI",A5 ))),A5, etc
if all of the error conditions is required to trigger the 'TRUE' response.

Cheers
PS: Add your "'Previous Project'!" strings - I omitted them for clarity.
Alternatively, name the source cell/range and use that instead of the
"'Previous Project'!A5" reference altogether.

"RADIOOZ" wrote in message
Need to shorten this to add a few more possibilities at the moment it will
only handle "EI" and "EW" but I need it to handle 3 or four more. Was
thinking a table of some sort based on the piece of the lookup cell I want

look at but have no real idea of where to start

Hope you can follow the arguments it is very much on the edge of my own
experience level

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("EW",'Previous

Project'!A5)),IF(ISERROR(FIND("EI",'Previous
Project'!A5)),'Previous Project'!A5,IF(ISERROR(FIND("R",'Previous
Project'!A5)),REPLACE('Previous Project'!A5,SEARCH("-",'Previous
Project'!A5),1,"*-"),REPLACE('Previous Project'!A5,(SEARCH("R",'Previous
Project'!A5))+1,SEARCH("-",'Previous Project'!A5)-SEARCH("R",'Previous
Project'!A5),"*-")))," ")

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Macropod
Your assumption that the tests are not heirarchical is correct however if
using your formula how do I get the differing processes resulting from the EW
or EI triggered response? ie "EW" triggers a space insertion and "EI"
triggers the further IF statement to differentiate between and EI with a
revision status and one without.

"RADIOOZ" wrote in message
Need to shorten this to add a few more possibilities at the moment it will
only handle "EI" and "EW" but I need it to handle 3 or four more. Was
thinking a table of some sort based on the piece of the lookup cell I want

look at but have no real idea of where to start

Hope you can follow the arguments it is very much on the edge of my own
experience level

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("EW",'Previous

Project'!A5)),IF(ISERROR(FIND("EI",'Previous
Project'!A5)),'Previous Project'!A5,IF(ISERROR(FIND("R",'Previous
Project'!A5)),REPLACE('Previous Project'!A5,SEARCH("-",'Previous
Project'!A5),1,"*-"),REPLACE('Previous Project'!A5,(SEARCH("R",'Previous
Project'!A5))+1,SEARCH("-",'Previous Project'!A5)-SEARCH("R",'Previous
Project'!A5),"*-")))," ")

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry I didn't understand the meaning of the word in this context obviously.
S'pose that's what I get for diving in the deep end and trying to swim before
I have learn't to do so.

"RADIOOZ" wrote in message
Need to shorten this to add a few more possibilities at the moment it

will
only handle "EI" and "EW" but I need it to handle 3 or four more. Was
thinking a table of some sort based on the piece of the lookup cell I

want
look at but have no real idea of where to start

Hope you can follow the arguments it is very much on the edge of my

own
experience level

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("EW",'Previous
Project'!A5)),IF(ISERROR(FIND("EI",'Previous
Project'!A5)),'Previous Project'!A5,IF(ISERROR(FIND("R",'Previous
Project'!A5)),REPLACE('Previous Project'!A5,SEARCH("-",'Previous
Project'!A5),1,"*-"),REPLACE('Previous

Project'!A5,(SEARCH("R",'Previous
Project'!A5))+1,SEARCH("-",'Previous Project'!A5)-SEARCH("R",'Previous
Project'!A5),"*-")))," ")

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Have kind of overcome problem by utilising another column linked to the
results of original column, however it seems very clumsy as I now have 4
colums linked in a line in order to check all variables

"RADIOOZ" wrote in message
Need to shorten this to add a few more possibilities at the moment it

will
only handle "EI" and "EW" but I need it to handle 3 or four more. Was
thinking a table of some sort based on the piece of the lookup cell I

want
look at but have no real idea of where to start

Hope you can follow the arguments it is very much on the edge of my

own
experience level

=IF(ISERROR(FIND("EW",'Previous
Project'!A5)),IF(ISERROR(FIND("EI",'Previous
Project'!A5)),'Previous Project'!A5,IF(ISERROR(FIND("R",'Previous
Project'!A5)),REPLACE('Previous Project'!A5,SEARCH("-",'Previous
Project'!A5),1,"*-"),REPLACE('Previous

Project'!A5,(SEARCH("R",'Previous
Project'!A5))+1,SEARCH("-",'Previous Project'!A5)-SEARCH("R",'Previous
Project'!A5),"*-")))," ")

Choose From A Range FARAZ QURESHI Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 3 December 21st 08 09:49 PM
choose. pierre Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 April 25th 08 10:04 PM
choose? pierre Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 April 24th 08 09:47 PM
Choose. Rodney New Users to Excel 2 May 2nd 05 04:59 AM
ask user to choose Sam Excel Programming 0 September 23rd 03 01:43 PM