Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Protect VBA projects

Is there any way to truly protect VBA projects in Excel?

I'm aware of how to password protect a project, but I'm also aware that
I can purchase a utility for less than $50 that claims it will open any
password protected project regardless of password length or complexity.
Does anyone have any experience with this product or similar? Can they
really work as claimed?

The questions are academic rather than practical. I'd like to know, but
I don't want to spend $50 to find out if it really works and I really
don't have any interest in using it. I do protect most of my projects
and would like to think it takes more than that to break security. I'd
be much more interested in securing projects somehow that would take
more savvy than downloading a file and clicking through an interface to
break.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

AFAIK, there is no fool proof protection of your VBA project within Excel.
Password utilities do work and they can be found at no cost!

Excel 2003 appears to have better protection but again not fully secure
--
Cheers
Nigel

"ward376" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there any way to truly protect VBA projects in Excel?

I'm aware of how to password protect a project, but I'm also aware that
I can purchase a utility for less than $50 that claims it will open any
password protected project regardless of password length or complexity.
Does anyone have any experience with this product or similar? Can they
really work as claimed?

The questions are academic rather than practical. I'd like to know, but
I don't want to spend $50 to find out if it really works and I really
don't have any interest in using it. I do protect most of my projects
and would like to think it takes more than that to break security. I'd
be much more interested in securing projects somehow that would take
more savvy than downloading a file and clicking through an interface to
break.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

their are various macros within this newsgroup that will testify to the fact
that passowrd protection is nothing more than a token gesture

in fast if ppl are willing to pay 50 to crack a password then they are not
the ones you need to worry about

"Nigel" wrote:

AFAIK, there is no fool proof protection of your VBA project within Excel.
Password utilities do work and they can be found at no cost!

Excel 2003 appears to have better protection but again not fully secure
--
Cheers
Nigel

"ward376" wrote in message
oups.com...
Is there any way to truly protect VBA projects in Excel?

I'm aware of how to password protect a project, but I'm also aware that
I can purchase a utility for less than $50 that claims it will open any
password protected project regardless of password length or complexity.
Does anyone have any experience with this product or similar? Can they
really work as claimed?

The questions are academic rather than practical. I'd like to know, but
I don't want to spend $50 to find out if it really works and I really
don't have any interest in using it. I do protect most of my projects
and would like to think it takes more than that to break security. I'd
be much more interested in securing projects somehow that would take
more savvy than downloading a file and clicking through an interface to
break.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The best way to protect your code is to put it in an ActiveX DLL, created in
VB, and link the DLL to your workbook. As compiled code, it will not be
crackable as VBA code is.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

(replace somewhere in email address with googlemail if mailing direct)

oups.com...