Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming
Baj Baj is offline

Default XLA location

Currently we are putting our custom XLA's on each users computer under their
profiles "ADDIN" folder. This is where Excel wants to look when you load
addins. It seemed best to do it that way. We load the addin from the Excel
tool bar so that it loads with excel. When the functions are used Excel for
some reason adds the path to the function as shown below:

'C:\Documents and Settings\dbadge\Application
Data\Microsoft\AddIns\water97_v12.xla'!enthalpySat VapPW(J12)

This causes no end of "Edit Links" "Change source" etc. when others use it.
It is a pain...
How do I make the pain stop...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Can you put the addin in a common network folder (and use its UNC path--not
drive letter)?

Or could you dedicate a folder on each person's harddrive:
C:\MyAddIns

so that everyone uses the same naming convention?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The problem is with the path - it includes dBadge - this is a username. The
macro will therefore work for dbadge, but not for jSmith, without the edit
links. Simple fix it to create a folder on each computer that is not
username specific - such as "C:\program files\XLAddins"

Use that everywhere and you will be fine

--
www.alignment-systems.com

"Baj" wrote:

Currently we are putting our custom XLA's on each users computer under their
profiles "ADDIN" folder. This is where Excel wants to look when you load
addins. It seemed best to do it that way. We load the addin from the Excel
tool bar so that it loads with excel. When the functions are used Excel for
some reason adds the path to the function as shown below:

'C:\Documents and Settings\dbadge\Application
Data\Microsoft\AddIns\water97_v12.xla'!enthalpySat VapPW(J12)

This causes no end of "Edit Links" "Change source" etc. when others use it.
It is a pain...
How do I make the pain stop...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I found this in help. would this help your situation.

UserLibraryPath Property
See Also Applies To Example Specifics
Returns the path to the location on the users computer where the COM
add-ins are installed. Read-only String.

Example
This example determines where the COM add-ins are installed on the users
computer and assigns the string to the variable strLibPath.

strLibPath = Application.UserLibraryPath
Hope this helps
Paul

"Baj" wrote:

Currently we are putting our custom XLA's on each users computer under their
profiles "ADDIN" folder. This is where Excel wants to look when you load
addins. It seemed best to do it that way. We load the addin from the Excel
tool bar so that it loads with excel. When the functions are used Excel for
some reason adds the path to the function as shown below:

'C:\Documents and Settings\dbadge\Application
Data\Microsoft\AddIns\water97_v12.xla'!enthalpySat VapPW(J12)

This causes no end of "Edit Links" "Change source" etc. when others use it.
It is a pain...
How do I make the pain stop...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,
how about putting XLA in the "Library" folder in the folder where
Excel.exe exists. Application.LibraryPath also returns the location.
excel makes the relative path from this library folder.
--
HTH,
okaizawa