Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default stop users from saving their file over "master" if same name

users copy Excel file (model) from network to their c: drive to input data.
When done, they save their file back to the network over the "original"
model. In the interim, updates may have been made to the network model which
become lost when copied over. Any way to restrict this user nightmare
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You could disable the Save and SaveAS menu options and trap the shortcut keys
to those options AND then you would have to trap the workbook closing &
prompt whether it should be saved or the changes discarded.

This gets messy, quickly.

"ruddojo" wrote:

users copy Excel file (model) from network to their c: drive to input data.
When done, they save their file back to the network over the "original"
model. In the interim, updates may have been made to the network model which
become lost when copied over. Any way to restrict this user nightmare

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Since I'm not very experienced in VBA, the Save As and Save seem a bit
confusing!
Also, I don't believe I can make the file Read Only if users need to INPUT
data. All cells except the input cells are locked and then protected. I
have hidden files that are also protected by protecting the workbook. Still
the files get saved over ... users need to Input data into the network
files and save them, but need to be restricted from saving an entirely
different file with the same name over the "master" file. I remember from
the past something about "compiling" a file so that it couldn't be changed.
ideas? or a little more help with VBA?

"ruddojo" wrote:

users copy Excel file (model) from network to their c: drive to input data.
When done, they save their file back to the network over the "original"
model. In the interim, updates may have been made to the network model which
become lost when copied over. Any way to restrict this user nightmare

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

By making it read only, it means the user can not save the file. They must
use saveas and give it a different name.

There is no built in feature for doing what you describe. A file sitting on
a network drive has not inherent protection from being written over except
for what is provided by the file server operating system and the settings
applied through that.

Tom Ogilvy

"ruddojo" wrote:

users copy Excel file (model) from network to their c: drive to input

data.
When done, they save their file back to the network over the "original"
model. In the interim, updates may have been made to the network model

which
become lost when copied over. Any way to restrict this user nightmare

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank you. It helps to know that the only place to control files writing
over other files is through the file server operating system. I'll look
into that further ---