Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Number Displaying as Date

The International Bank sends us an Excel.csv File. The only problem is that
for some reason the some Columns displays as various date fields.

I need to insure that the number comes in as the transfer number instead of
a date. The transfer number is an integer.

I imported the Excel file to MSAccess and tried to convert it there. I even
tried to convert the date field in Access and I could not do it there.

Thanks for the assistance in advance!

Bill
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Because the filetype is .csv Excel thinks it knows how the input should be
interpreted. Rename the file to .txt this will cause Excel to bring up the
Import Wizard. This will allow you to specify the formats.
--
Gary's Student

"Bill Barber" wrote:

The International Bank sends us an Excel.csv File. The only problem is that
for some reason the some Columns displays as various date fields.

I need to insure that the number comes in as the transfer number instead of
a date. The transfer number is an integer.

I imported the Excel file to MSAccess and tried to convert it there. I even
tried to convert the date field in Access and I could not do it there.

Thanks for the assistance in advance!

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Gary;

No go! When I import it, it will only come in in text. It usually
just shows as Month and Year. However it never shows the day!

Example is:

Jan-58, Jan-53, Jan-73 and sometimes 27-Jan. I need some way to change the
format for the entire columns programically in the Excel Sheet. The
International Bank is refusing to assist us. This number (It is suppose to be
an integer) is the transfer number and is critical to verify the electronic
movement of money.
"Gary''s Student" wrote:

I am wondering if I should bring it in to MSAccess and play with it there?

Thanks for the help.

"Bill Barber" wrote:

The International Bank sends us an Excel.csv File. The only problem is that
for some reason the some Columns displays as various date fields.

I need to insure that the number comes in as the transfer number instead of
a date. The transfer number is an integer.

I imported the Excel file to MSAccess and tried to convert it there. I even
tried to convert the date field in Access and I could not do it there.

Thanks for the assistance in advance!

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Bill,

when you say import, aere you simply just opening a file or using
macros to pull this data in.
Gary's suggestion should work for you to be able to choose how each
column is formatted if you choose Delimited from the Import Wizard,
check the box for comma to delimit and select each column and choose
formats.

It could be that you are not opening the file from inside excel in
which case the wizard isn't displayed.
If you get any joy with this it would be quite easy to write a
procedure to do this every time.

Let me know if this helps. I'll be happy to help you out with code if
you get past this.

Somethinglikeant