Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Calculating a field in pivot tables

Hi everyone, I think this is an impossibility, but thought I would give
it a go:

I have a file which I am importing from a 3rd party into a pivot table
to then analyse.
One of the fields (called: "typecode") includes a 6 character code.
If you dump the whole data into excel and run a =MID(D2,4,2) function
against the value it creates a 2 character code.

Is it possible to run this in a pivot table so I dont need to dump the
file into excel first??
I suspect the answer is no.
Thanks
Love Amy xx

--
AmyTaylor
AmyTaylor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=20970

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Believe you want to use a calculated field in your pivot table. After you
create the pivottable, then (this is from xl2003 help)

Click the report.
On the PivotTable toolbar, click PivotTable or PivotChart, point to
Formulas, and then click Calculated Field.
In the Name box, type a name for the field.
In the Formula box, enter the formula for the field.
To use the data from another field in the formula, click the field in the
Fields box, and then click Insert Field. For example, to calculate a 15%
commission on each value in the Sales field, you could enter = Sales * 15%.

Tom Ogilvy