Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Could someone HELP TRANSLATE this simple psuedo code into MACRO pl

HTML Code:
for EACH row in WORK
{
   for each row in DATA
   {
    if ((WORK.row.zip == DATA.row.zip) && (WORK.row.name == DATA.row.name))
    Then
    Highlight current WORK.row to YELLOW, break out of current for loop
    ELSE
    next DATA row++
   }
    next WORK row++
}
[/size]

[size="3"](see below for explaination)

I have a Excel workbook called FIRSTAM8.xls

Inside I have two seperate worksheets: 1)'DATA' & 2)'WORK'
There are 31886 rows in sheet 'WORK' & 5741 rows in sheet 'DATA'

Column 'C' in 'WORK' contains the customer name, Column 'B' contains the zip
code.

In the 'DATA' sheet Column 'H' contains the customer name, & Column 'S' the
zip code.

I want to compare (individually, one-by-one) the zip && name Columns ('B' &
'C')
of each row in sheet 'WORK' to/with/against the respective
zip && name Columns ('S' & 'H') of EACH AND EVERY row in sheet 'DATA'.

For example: if BOTH the zip &&and&& name columns of row1 of sheet 'WORK'
matches
with ANY (any of the 5741) rows of sheet 'DATA' then row1 IS a match/hit,
and the entire row1 of sheet 'WORK' is highlighted yellow to indicate the
match status.
If row1 of 'WORK' matches to multiple rows of 'DATA' that is okay, it is
still highlighted.
However if row1 of 'WORK' does not match (by the criteria of zip && name) to
ANY of the
5741 rows in "DATA" then it is not highlighted and the next row (row2) is
processed.

Note: When comparing names, I really mean comparing the first
character of the customer name fields. I do this to avoid
false negatives and so not to miss a potential match.
This will entail using the substring manipulation functions.(?LEFT)

--------------------

HTML Code:
for EACH row in WORK
{
   for each row in DATA
   {
    if ((WORK.row.zip == DATA.row.zip) && (WORK.row.name == DATA.row.name))
    Then
    Highlight current WORK.row to YELLOW, break out of current for loop
    ELSE
    next DATA row++
   }
    next WORK row++
}

*OR*

HTML Code:
for each row in WORK
{
   for each row in DATA
   {
    if ((WORK.row.column(B) == DATA.row.column(S)) &&
(WORK.row.firstcharof(column(C) == DATA.row.firstcharof(column(H)))
    Then
    Highlight.interior.current.WORK.row = YELLOW, break out of current
for-loop
    ELSE
    next DATA row++
   }
    next WORK row++
}

CAN SOMEONE TRANSLATE THE ABOVE
INTO REAL EXCEL CODE FOR ME??

Here is a link to the ENTIRE post I made (for clarity and reference):
http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49941

Here is an abridged IMAGE of the my Excel Workbook:
Attachment 4703

Here is the original file I am working on (LARGE):
FIRSTAM8.xls
http://www4.sendthisfile.com/d.jsp?t...Oeb2puKBql1LmB

Thanks,
Bo
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If there is no header row this should work. If there is then change
the:
For iRow = 1
and
For iRow2 = 1
For iRow = 2
and
For iRow2 = 2

Otherwise, the following code should do the trick.

Hope this helps.

Sub Test()
Dim iTotalWorkRows As Integer
Dim iTotalDataRows As Integer
Dim iCount As Integer
iTotalWorkRows = Sheets("WORK").UsedRange.Rows.Count
iTotalDataRows = Sheets("DATA").UsedRange.Rows.Count
For iRow = 1 To iTotalWorkRows
For iRow2 = 1 To iTotalDataRows
If Sheets("WORK").Cells(iRow, 3).Value =
Sheets("DATA").Cells(iRow2, 8).Value And Sheets("WORK").Cells(iRow,
2).Value = Sheets("DATA").Cells(iRow2, 19).Value Then
Sheets("WORK").Cells(iRow, 1).EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex
= 6
iRow2 = iTotalDataRows
End If
Next iRow2

[...]