Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bxc2739

Default Could someone HELP TRANSLATE this simple psuedo code into MACRO please?!

FOR EACH ROW IN WORK
{
FOR EACH ROW IN DATA
{
IF ((WORK.ROW.ZIP == DATA.ROW.ZIP) && (WORK.ROW.NAME ==
DATA.ROW.NAME))
THEN
HIGHLIGHT CURRENT WORK.ROW TO YELLOW, BREAK OUT OF CURRENT FOR
LOOP
ELSE
NEXT DATA ROW++
}
NEXT WORK ROW++
}

::_(see_below_for_explaination)_

I have a Excel workbook called FIRSTAM8.xls

Inside I have two seperate worksheets: 1)'DATA' & 2)'WORK'
There are 31886 rows in sheet 'WORK' & 5741 rows in sheet 'DATA'

Column 'C' in 'WORK' contains the customer name, Column 'B' contains
the zip code.

In the 'DATA' sheet Column 'H' contains the customer name, & Column 'S'
the zip code.

I want to compare (individually, one-by-one) the zip && name Columns
('B' & 'C')
of each row in sheet 'WORK' to/with/against the respective
zip && name Columns ('S' & 'H') of EACH AND EVERY row in sheet 'DATA'.

For example: if BOTH the zip &&and&& name columns of row1 of sheet
'WORK' matches
with ANY (any of the 5741) rows of sheet 'DATA' then row1 IS a
match/hit,
and the entire row1 of sheet 'WORK' is highlighted yellow to indicate
the match status.
If row1 of 'WORK' matches to multiple rows of 'DATA' that is okay, it
is still highlighted.
However if row1 of 'WORK' does not match (by the criteria of zip &&
name) to ANY of the
5741 rows in \"DATA\" then it is not highlighted and the next row
(row2) is processed.

Note: When comparing names, I really mean comparing the first
character of the customer name fields. I do this to avoid
false negatives and so not to miss a potential match.
This will entail using the substring manipulation functions.(?LEFT)

--------------------

for EACH row in WORK
{
for each row in DATA
{
if ((WORK.row.zip == DATA.row.zip) && (WORK.row.name ==
DATA.row.name))
Then
Highlight current WORK.row to YELLOW, break out of current for
loop
ELSE
next DATA row++
}
next WORK row++
}

_**OR**_

for each row in WORK
{
for each row in DATA
{
if ((WORK.row.column(B) == DATA.row.column(S)) &&
(WORK.row.firstcharof(column(C) == DATA.row.firstcharof(column(H)))
Then
Highlight.interior.current.WORK.row = YELLOW, break out of current
for-loop
ELSE
next DATA row++
}
next WORK row++
}

CAN SOMEONE TRANSLATE THE ABOVE INTO REAL
EXCEL CODE FOR ME??::

Here is a link to the ENTIRE post I made (for clarity and reference):
http://www.ozgrid.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49941

Here is an abridged IMAGE of the my Excel Workbook:
4703

Here is the original file I am working on (LARGE):
FIRSTAM8.xls
http://www4.sendthisfile.com/d.jsp?t...Oeb2puKBql1LmB

Thanks,
Bo

|Filename: finalj.JPG |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4703 |

bxc2739
bxc2739's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=32538
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=536835

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
bxc2739

::Here is the original file I am working on (LARGE):
FIRSTAM8.xls
http://www4.sendthisfile.com/d.jsp?t...Oeb2puKBql1LmB

Here simple IMAGE illustration:
4704

*I just need the BELOW pseudo code translated/coverted into REAL Excel
MACRO code:
*
for EACH row in WORK
{
for each row in DATA
{
if ((WORK.row.zip == DATA.row.zip) && (WORK.row.name ==
DATA.row.name))
Then
Highlight current WORK.row to YELLOW, break out of current for loop
ELSE
next DATA row++
}
next WORK row++
}

:*I just need the ABOVE pseudo code translated/coverted into REAL Excel
MACRO code*

Thanks::

|Filename: finalj.JPG |
|Download: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=4704 |