Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default protect tab

I'm building an Excel app that has 2 tabs; user and admin. I would like to
have the admin tab password protected, so that if "user" opens the workbook
and clicks on the "admin" tab, they are prompted for a password. Obviously
this is a way of hiding the Admin tab from those who are not allowed to see
it. Is this possible? If so, how would I go about doing it? Or is there
another solution that is recommended?

Thanks, Andre

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can hide the sheet using format...sheet...hide. But if someone trie
to unhide it they can find it.

Or going to the VBA IDE you can set the visible property of the shee
to xlveryhidden.

Whether you need to be more secure depends on your app, the nature o
your users and the risks

regards

--
tony
tony h's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2107

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If I used xlveryhidden, how do the 'admin' users unhide it? Do I give them
a special keyboard combo to unhide it or something?

Andre

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

First, excel's security isn't made for this kind of protection. If you put it
in a workbook, you can expect someone to break excel's security very easily.

If you really don't want the info on the admin worksheet to get out, don't share
the workbook with people who shouldn't see that sheet.

Andre wrote:

I'm building an Excel app that has 2 tabs; user and admin. I would like to
have the admin tab password protected, so that if "user" opens the workbook
and clicks on the "admin" tab, they are prompted for a password. Obviously
this is a way of hiding the Admin tab from those who are not allowed to see
it. Is this possible? If so, how would I go about doing it? Or is there
another solution that is recommended?

Thanks, Andre

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Another option I might have is to have an admin workbook that creates a user
workbook. Is it possible for one workbook to create another one? If so,
can you give me a tip on how to do it - in VBA?

Thanks, Andre

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
First, excel's security isn't made for this kind of protection. If you
put it
in a workbook, you can expect someone to break excel's security very
easily.

If you really don't want the info on the admin worksheet to get out, don't
share
the workbook with people who shouldn't see that sheet.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I don't quite understand why you wouldn't create the separate workbooks
manually.

And you could have a program that would create another workbook (that's easy).
But to extract data and put it into the other workbook would depend on what you
really needed. And that could be easy or difficult <bg.