Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default macros

Excuse what I've forgotten. This file I've inherited has a macro that starts when I open the file and I would like to disable it. I can't seem to locate it, by name. As I recall, there is a magic letter or something that identifies such. How do I find it?

Also, I'm not sure I am seeing all the macros text, how do I show all modules, or whatever it would be called?

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

it was the latter. Don't I recall hat there is a certain code for macros (something like cntrl and I, or a name that starts with an I) that start when you open the file, or is that 10 years old info that has since changed?

Thanks!

"Don Guillett" wrote in message ...
alt f11. Look in a regular module for auto_open or the ThisWorkbook modules for workbook_open

--
Don Guillett
SalesAid Software

"Dean" wrote in message ...
Excuse what I've forgotten. This file I've inherited has a macro that starts when I open the file and I would like to disable it. I can't seem to locate it, by name. As I recall, there is a magic letter or something that identifies such. How do I find it?

Also, I'm not sure I am seeing all the macros text, how do I show all modules, or whatever it would be called?

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

When I try this trick, I get a pop up that says it "cannot open Microsoft
Add-In for editing. Please edit the source document instead." and it seems
that some of my analysis toolpak functions, such as eomonth, edate, don't
work. It tried unchecking and rechecking but it didn't help.

Does the shift key do more than that? FWIW, though I have fixed it
occasionally, I also have a problem that, when I open EXCEL even via
clicking on a recently used document, a Book1 file opens as well.

Thanks!
Dean

"Dean" wrote:

Excuse what I've forgotten. This file I've inherited has a macro that
starts when I open the file and I would like to disable it. I can't seem
to locate it, by name. As I recall, there is a magic letter or something
that identifies such. How do I find it?

Also, I'm not sure I am seeing all the macros text, how do I show all
modules, or whatever it would be called?

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

It looks like I can answer part of my own question. Because EXCEL insists
on opening up this "book1" file first, the shift key seems to cause it to
stop the add-ins from loading, so it seems like I need to open EXCEL first,
then, hold the shift key while I open the file with the macros.

So, the only remaining question is how I get EXCEL to open without opening
this book1 file. I don't even remember, if you open EXCEL (but no file), is
a blank file supposed to pop up automatically? Regardless, when I enter
EXCEL by opening a file, how do I get it to stop opening up Book1 first?

Thanks again!

"Dean" wrote:

Excuse what I've forgotten. This file I've inherited has a macro that
starts when I open the file and I would like to disable it. I can't
seem to locate it, by name. As I recall, there is a magic letter or
something that identifies such. How do I find it?

Also, I'm not sure I am seeing all the macros text, how do I show all
modules, or whatever it would be called?

Thanks!
Dean

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ok, I found a private Sub Workbook Open and commented every line out, so I don't have to hold down the shift key each time and open EXCEL before that, lest it also suppress the EXCEL add-ins.

And this stopped the macros from being invoked. However, somehow all the worksheets got password protected again later, with old passwords. Are there any other macro names to look for that mean they run autonomously without the user knowing? For example, I see one named "Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose" but it doesn't look like that's the one that would do password protection.

Any ideas? Perhaps I inadvertently ran one of the old macros that set the passwords.

Thanks!
Dean