Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default how to create form fields in excel

I've searched what seems like the entire Microsoft Online site and am having
difficulty finding an answer to what I think you be a very elementary
question - how do I insert a form field in Excel?

I've successfully created form fields in forms in Word so I get the basic
idea of how they work. My problem is, when I am working on the Excel sheet
I'd like to insert form fields in, on the forms toolbar, the form field
option, the "ab" button is greyed out. I cannot figure out how to activate
it or why it is grey in the first place. I've been able to insert checkboxes
in Excel no problem so I'm very confused. Anyone with some advice in a
foolproof, step by step manner would be greatly appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

execassist,
Form fields are a Word entity, to allow naming a certain area within a bunch
of text; the term has no meaning in an Excel context, as it is cell based.
The nearest equivalent is a named range.
When you refer to the Forms toolbar and the "ab", that is for putting a
label on top of the worksheet.

You seem to be trying to use Excel for a Word job, or using the same methods
in Excel as you have in Word. Either way will not work.
If this is a job for Excel, forget your practice in Word and utilise Excel
for what it is, a spreadsheet.

NickHK

"execassist" wrote in message
I've searched what seems like the entire Microsoft Online site and am

having
difficulty finding an answer to what I think you be a very elementary
question - how do I insert a form field in Excel?

I've successfully created form fields in forms in Word so I get the basic
idea of how they work. My problem is, when I am working on the Excel

sheet
I'd like to insert form fields in, on the forms toolbar, the form field
option, the "ab" button is greyed out. I cannot figure out how to

activate
it or why it is grey in the first place. I've been able to insert

checkboxes
in Excel no problem so I'm very confused. Anyone with some advice in a
foolproof, step by step manner would be greatly appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You can get something close to form fields by designing your form with
the appropriate text and labels, etc., then:

- unlock only the cells where you desire data to be typed in.
- Protect the sheet

Ben

--
protonLeah