Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Sorting Multiple Columns Repeatedly

I've built a spreadsheet of employees in rows and attributes about them

in columns.

I've recorded macros to sort on the columns (sometimes by one, two or
three columns per sort).

I began each macro by using CTL+A to select the whole sheet, then
clicked on DataSort to do the sort.

I'm finding that the data is getting scrambled: that data in rows are
not
staying together.

Is there something about multiple subsequent sorts that would mess up
my data, even though each macro starts by selecting the whole sheet?

Although I don't know how to program in VB, I looked at the code and
notice that each macro has an almost random reference in the beginning
that uses "Range.Activate", probably where my cursor happened to be.
Could this screw things up? Does the cell reference need to be in the
first column I'm sorting by?

If there's some kind of formula to ensure that the subsequent sorts on
multiple columns don't scramble my data, I'd be grateful if someone
would post it here and I'll copy it in to each macro.

Thanks,
Bill

PS: Sorry for the crosspost, but I just discovered this group.