Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Importing multiple Text files into Excel

Hi everybody!

I have lots of txt files with a single column of data like this:

101- C
102- C
103- I
104- C
105- I
etc.

I'm looking for the way to put these text files together into a single
Excel table which looked like this:

Filename1 Filename2 Filename500
101- C 101- I 101- I
102- C 102- C 102- C
103- I 103- C 103- I
104- C 104- I 104- C
105- I 105- C 105- I
.... ... ...
etc. etc. etc.

I would extremely appreciate it if any of you guys could help me put
the files together with the name of each file at the top of each
column.

I haven't got much experience with Excel, but I know how to paste a
macro into a module in the Visual basic editor.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

luis

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Luis wants to try rhis in Excel:

Filename1 Filename2 Filename500
101- C 101- I 101- I
102- C 102- C 102- C
103- I 103- C 103- I
104- C 104- I 104- C
105- I 105- C 105- I
... ... ...

I'm sorry Luis,
It seems that you want to have mutiple instances for 1 ID.
This can only be done if you less than 65000 records and less then 255
columns.
But even if you would use all possible cells in your Worksheet, Excel will
crash down.

You need to change to Access or another database-application that can handle
1-to-many relationships.

Your question is beyond Excel's possibillities.

Have a look at the newsgroup: microsoft.public.access

Excel is a smart program, but there are limits.

I wish you all the best in convincing your chef/boss/etc that you need to
widen your scope to not just handling a single table database in Excel but
handling relational databases, with many tables that are linked to
eachother.

good luck,

sybolt

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You have a reply to your post in .misc.

It's not necessary to post multiple times in different newsgroups. If you think
you must post to several newsgroups, it's better to post one message to all the
newsgroups you want--instead of a single message to each of the newsgroups.

By crossposting (one message, multiple groups), the responders should see that
your question has been answered in each of the newsgroups.

By multiposting, the responders don't see that you may have gotten a reply in
one of the other newsgroups.

And you don't have to check each newsgroups for replies! And you don't get the
added benefit of responders adding to other responses.

--

Dave Peterson