Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VBA and VSTO

Hi,

since I have serious problems in VBA, I consider to migrate to VSTO. I have
some questions about that, in order of importance:

1. Is my code in VBA in a high level portable to the new platform
2. Can I compile the project to an executable stand-alone file (.exe) so I
am not dependent to what the user have installed of dll's
3. Does it work with all versions of Office (starting with 2000)

Thanks for your help.
Jos Vens

PS my big problem in VBA is the difference of the mso.dll (mso9.dll for
office 2000) of the different office versions, which causes a crash on
startup when I build up my menu-bar. Recompilation on the specific excel
version solves the problem, but then I have to maintain at least 3 versions
(2000, XP and 2003). Even subversions (Service Packs and minor upgrades
cause those commilation problems so I cannot keep that much versions).

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Assuming you know VB.NET,

1. Is my code in VBA in a high level portable to the new
platform

Only you can answer that question.

2. Can I compile the project to an executable stand-alone file
(.exe) so I am not dependent to what the user have installed of
dll's

With VTSO, you end up with a workbook and a managed code DLL.

3. Does it work with all versions of Office (starting with
2000)

No. 2003 only.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

But going back to your VBA problem, if you develop on your lowest deployment
version of Excel, that should work on all later versions. No need for 3
versions. I don't have 3 versions, and I bet Chip never does.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

Assuming you know VB.NET,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

versions. I don't have 3 versions, and I bet Chip never does.

I have 5 versions of Excel on my main box.

"Bob Phillips" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Bob,

I try it out! You mean I should develop in office 2000 then...

I always did in XP, but maybe I did an upgrade and then it didn't work
anymore. It is also rare that my code of XP also crashes on office 2003!

Thanks
Jos

"Bob Phillips" schreef in bericht

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Chip,

I mean, I developped in VBA, and I don't want to spend to much time to set
my code in vb.net. Is the language comparable or do I have to learn a lot
(and debug a lot) to get my code back in vb?

I never used VB.NET! I assume you mean I cannot copy and paste my code from
vba to vb.net.

Jos

"Chip Pearson" schreef in bericht
Assuming you know VB.NET,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

You'll find the syntax of VB.NET familiar if you know VBA, but
VB.NET is vastly larger and more complicated than VBA. Some code
will copy/paste, but most will require some degree of rewrite.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I know,

but if VSTO is stable, I can convince my customers to migrate to 2003, now
it's a mess: my excel application crashes on almost every machine, unless it
is upgraded to the right version (like for XP is it 10.6789.6735 SP3). All
other versions are crashing, unless I recompile. I've built a compiler (I
use the sendkeys method to unlock the project etc etc... It worked, but on
2003 I couldn't save it anymore - an error on saving appeared for an unknown
reason).

Thanks for all your suggestions!
Jos Vens

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Smiss wrote:

... there is no benefit (bit slower in fact) normally of declaring
integer compared
to longs ...

I support the idea of going *Long* rather than* Integer* in al
situations. But is it really true that Integer is slower than Long
I'd had always thought the opposite plus the fact that Integer use
less memory resources than Long or Double.

Just curious.

Myle

--
Myle
Myles's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=2874

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I believe the thought is that
In 32 bit versions of windows, Long is the default length - so it takes
extra code to work with integers and doesn't save any memory since the
variables are not bitpacked.

Tom Ogilvy

"Myles" wrote in
message ...

Smiss wrote:

.. there is no benefit (bit slower in fact) normally of declaring
integer compared
to longs ...

I support the idea of going *Long* rather than* Integer* in all
situations. But is it really true that Integer is slower than Long?
I'd had always thought the opposite plus the fact that Integer uses
less memory resources than Long or Double.

Just curious.

Myles

--
Myles
Myles's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=528846

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I did re-compile.
File was 5 Mb after compile and save and went down to 2.5 Mb after
running WB Rebuilder.
I always compile before save, just to make sure there are no errors. I
think most people on this NG will do the same.
It would be no trouble to pass you the code and I will do that tonight
after work.

RBS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Bart,

I did a time-check and compiled or not, the program starts equally fast. I
have also the habbit to compile. I think when I distribute, I will run WB
Rebuilder and do no recompilation.
If you want to send code directly: (the
newsgroup-emailaddress was my old one and does not exist anymore).

Your a great person!
Jos

schreef in bericht
oups.com...