Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default creating report from spreadsheet

Hello,

I would like to make reports in excel based on a spreadsheet

In the spreadsheet there are a lot of variables, such as name, company,
.... and I would like to make a report with just a few of these
variables on a new page.

is this possible and how?

thankx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
depends where the variables are and how you want your report to look.
If all the data is in columns and you are referring to column headings,
then you could hide columns you don't want. If that is all you want
then reply with the details.

regards
Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,
It's like this. It is a large spreadsheet with more than 2000 lines.
Every line represents a person.
In the colums is the data that refer to the persons. There are about
20 colums, but I would like to have only some of them in the report.

Each report should correspond with one person, so I would like to be
able that when for instance when I have a meeting with a client, that I
press some button or so and that I get his report. The generated
report must not be in the same file or not in excel, but this may.

But the generation of the report is my problem,is this with macro's or
with templates or so?

thankx a lot for the quick response

matthias

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The generated report must not be in the same file or not in excel, but this may. <<

Not sure what you mean here?

However, from your brief description, here's what I might try:

1. Create a named range over the column with the list of people's
names.
2. On a separate sheet, create a data validation for a cell using that
named range as your validation list. This will allow you to have a
drop-down box in that cell with the list of all of the people in your
database.
3. Have the rest of the page be your template, doing VLOOKUP()
functions to retrieve the data from your database based on the value
found in the drop-down box you just created.

Then, any time you change the value in the drop-down box, your report
will change to show data on that person.