Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default In Excel, why does my VB not work when launched from IE ?

I have a small VB project which works fine when launched by MSExcel, but
fails when launched by hyperlink from a webpage (IE5).

The file booking.xls opens 4 other xls files and copies data from them, but
when launched from within IE, it opens the files OK but cannot then move
focus to them in order to copy cells.

Does IE require different ways of linking? I used workbooks.open (4 times)
to find and open the subordinate files, then windows(bookname).activate plus
sheets(sheetname) to switch to each of then in turn. When launched from IE,
this produces a Run-time error '9' (Subscript out of range) - which I guess
means that the bookname parameter is not picked up.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In MSExcel they launch as 5 separate instances, whereas from IE they launch
as one (the first) as xl within a IE window, and the other 4 all within a
single Excel window. (weird eh? )

I tried an intermediate xl sheet which just opens the first file; this gives
the intermediate in IE and 5 within xl. AND (!) in this case, the first ends
up as a hidden window. By manually uphiding this, it runs fine as expected.
(weirder and weirder!)

"David C" wrote:

I have a small VB project which works fine when launched by MSExcel, but
fails when launched by hyperlink from a webpage (IE5).

The file booking.xls opens 4 other xls files and copies data from them, but
when launched from within IE, it opens the files OK but cannot then move
focus to them in order to copy cells.

Does IE require different ways of linking? I used workbooks.open (4 times)
to find and open the subordinate files, then windows(bookname).activate plus
sheets(sheetname) to switch to each of then in turn. When launched from IE,
this produces a Run-time error '9' (Subscript out of range) - which I guess
means that the bookname parameter is not picked up.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Curiously, I have discovered that linking to a shortcut works fine; what is
that all about? When I open "Shortcut to <filename.lnk" from IE5, I get the
usual OPEN or SAVE options, and either way, it works properly.