Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Can I save multiple email attachments using excel automatically?

Hi,

Wonder if somone can help me out please. I am very new to VB, but willing to
learn.

I receive up to 900 emails a day. All have one attachment in a .csv format
and all are attachments are called Ack. I am desperately trying to find some
code where I can automatically take the email attachments without opening the
email and save them to a shared folder where they are saved using the email
subject as the filename.

The problem I have got is that the functionality for using VB in Outlook has
been taken away from the computer system at work so the only VB I can use is
through Excel. Because of this I am not sure whether it i easier to drag and
drop the emails from outlook into the shared folder and then extract from
there.

I really would appreciate some help here, because I am under quite a tight
deadline.

Many thanks in advance

Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Chris

For Outlook see
http://www.dicks-clicks.com/excel/olRetrieving.htm

Or do you use OE?

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"ir26121973" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Can I save multiple email attachments using excel automaticall

Hi Ron,

Thank you so much for getting back to me. I'll try the code out and let you
know how I get on.

P.S I use Outlook

Regards

Chris

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ron,

I've tried the coding and it works great.

The only problem is that this code just moves the email within outlook. I
really need the code to find the attachment and save it to a folder on my Z
drive at work i.e out of Outlook completely. As it saves the email I need the
attachment to be saved adding something unique to the filename because when I
receive the emails the attachments are all called the same.

The other option I see I have is to drag and drop the emails into my Z drive
then then automatcially strip the attachments out as explained above.

Any Ideas?

Thanks and regards

Chris

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The only problem is that this code just moves the email within outlook. I
really need the code to find the attachment and save it to a folder

Have you test this one
http://www.dicks-clicks.com/excel/ol...ve_Attachments

--

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes,

Maybe it's me that's being a bit thick!

This what I've got in my code where I believe it does the searching and
copying and pasting:

Set MoveToFldr = Fldr.Folders("Acks")
------I Believe this is the folder it moves the email to in outlook-------

MyPath = "C:\Documents and Settings\Chris\My Documents\Acknowledgements"
-----I believe the folder where it should save the attachment to in my C
Drive------

For i = Fldr.Items.Count To 1 Step -1
Set olMi = Fldr.Items(i)
If InStr(1, olMi.Subject, "14") 0 Then
-------I believe this is where you indicate what to look for in the
subject---------

For Each olAtt In olMi.Attachments
If olAtt.Filename = "AckReport.csv" Then
-----I believe this is the name of the email attachment---------

olAtt.SaveAsFile MyPath & olMi.SenderName & ".csv"
-----I believe this how it saves the email attachment---------

Thanks and regards

Chris

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ron,

I have tried to reply, but the pages seem a bit hit and miss to whether they
work or not. Anyway I'll try again!

I've managed to get the coding to work!!!!

The only problem is that because the attachments and sender are the same in
all of the emails it only seems to copy one of the emails to my C drive. Is
there anyway that can think of please what else I could use in the email to
seperate them?

Thanks very much Ron

Chris

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Try to add the time to the file name

olAtt.SaveAsFile MyPath & olMi.SenderName & olMi.ReceivedTime & ".xls"

Can't test it for you but try this one

--

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ron, you're a star!

Works a treat, thanks so very much for your time and trouble.

Really is appreciated.

Many thanks

Chris

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

After testing

Use this instead, it blow on my system because i use / in the date on my system
Use the format function to change it to -

olAtt.SaveAsFile MyPath & olMi.SenderName & " " & Format(olMi.ReceivedTime, "dd-mmm-yy hh-mm-ss") & ".xls"

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Ron de Bruin" wrote in message ...
You are welcome

Thanks for the feedback

--

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Another option :

Maybe this is better

olAtt.SaveAsFile MyPath & olMi.SenderName & " " & i & ".xls"
No problem if the ReceivedTime is the same(you never now)

If you want to merge the data you can look here
http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy3.htm

--

"Ron de Bruin" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ron,

Yeah I see what you've mean. I've played around with the coding a little bit
more to refine it, it's brilliant. My system too was bombing when I pointed
the code to look at the subject, so I am now using file size.

Thanks once again for your time

Regards

Chris