Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default msgbox / inputbox etc

Hi,

I'm using a vlookup formule to translate names into codes in a really big
excel sheet.
The problem is that if there are two time the same name, the system will
take the first code to translate the name without warning me. It can happens
that the system choose then for the wrong code.

Therefore, i would like to use a msgbox or inputbox to warn me that there
are two or more same names and to let me choose directly between the
different codes.

Is it possible ?? en if yes how can i do that?

thanks a lot for any help...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Just using formula you can't. You can put up a warning instead of a result

=if(countif(Sheet1!A:A,A1)1,"Possible
Duplicate",Vlookup(A1,Sheet1!A:F,3,False))

Otherwise you would need to write a macro to perform the lookups in a
sequential fashion. You would then have to run the macro .

This is possible, but you would need to provide details on locations and so
forth.

Tom Ogilvy

"samenvoegen van sheets" wrote:

Hi,

I'm using a vlookup formule to translate names into codes in a really big
excel sheet.
The problem is that if there are two time the same name, the system will
take the first code to translate the name without warning me. It can happens
that the system choose then for the wrong code.

Therefore, i would like to use a msgbox or inputbox to warn me that there
are two or more same names and to let me choose directly between the
different codes.

Is it possible ?? en if yes how can i do that?

thanks a lot for any help...

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Tom,

thks for your advise but the thing is that my Vlookup function is allready
in a macro cause my sheets are too big to do it manually. Zo i would like to
implement a msgbox (or an other box) in my Macro to warn me when there are
similaire names. And I would like that the message says something like
"attention there are two or more similare names, please choose the right one"
en then i would be able top choose the correct code.

do you think it is possible?

thks

"Tom Ogilvy" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thks tom,
i suppose you want me to send it on your email.
So I will do so.

Thks a lot for helping me out.
flo