Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Pivotcaches add method

Hello,

I am trying to create a pivot table in Excel from an Access table. I am
having trouble with the pivot caches add method. The M/S help screen tells me
to use the following format:

expression.Add (source type, source data)

but I can't find a section in help that explains what I need to specify for
source type & source data.

Could someone explain this to me and also, is there a better way of using
Help? I get to the expressions and frequently get lost. (I'm new at
programming, just finished the M/S Press Excel VBA Step by Step).

Thanks in advance,

--
TomD
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

I got this out of help. It's from the 'Add method as applies to PivotCaches
object' (from Excel XP);

Adds a new PivotTable cache to a PivotCaches collection. Returns a
PivotCache object.

expression.Add(SourceType, SourceData)

expression Required. An expression that returns a PivotCaches object.

SourceType Required XlPivotTableSourceType. The source of the PivotTable
cache data.

XlPivotTableSourceType can be one of these XlPivotTableSourceType constants.
xlConsolidation
xlDatabase
xlExternal
xlPivotTable
xlScenario

SourceData Optional Variant. The data for the new PivotTable cache. This
argument is required if SourceType isnt xlExternal. Can be a Range object,
an array of ranges, or a text constant that represents the name of an
existing PivotTable report. For an external database, this is a two-element
array. The first element is the connection string specifying the provider of
the data. The second element is the SQL query string used to get the data. If
you specify this argument, you must also specify SourceType.

What to say on using the help better? Just keep looking stuff up & over time
you will get an idea for how it fits together (or does not).

Regards,

Chris.

--
Chris Marlow