Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default can't delete columns

All of the sudden, when I pull up any workbook in Excel (new or previously
created), when I click Edit-Delete..., the Delete... is grayed out so that I
cannot select it. Further, I have for icons across the top of Excel for
deleting and inserting rows and columns. The icons to insert and delete rows
work, and the icon to insert a column works, but the icon to delete a column
is grayed out (i.e. nothing happens when you click on it.) All of this
worked before. What the heck could have changed this?
--
Ed
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

If you run a macro that disables any menu command that setting could have
been saved in your custom toolbar file. You might check this by renaming
your XLB file (with Excel closed) as that Excel does not reload it and you
get default menus and toolbars. It's typically found at:

C:\Documents and Settings\<user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel

--
Jim
"Ed White" wrote in message
| All of the sudden, when I pull up any workbook in Excel (new or previously
| created), when I click Edit-Delete..., the Delete... is grayed out so that
| cannot select it. Further, I have for icons across the top of Excel for
| deleting and inserting rows and columns. The icons to insert and delete
rows
| work, and the icon to insert a column works, but the icon to delete a
column
| is grayed out (i.e. nothing happens when you click on it.) All of this
| worked before. What the heck could have changed this?
| --
| Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Indeed, if I rename the XLB file, the File-Delete... option becomes available
when I restart Excel. However, I have spent considerable time customizing my
icons, and I don't want to start over again, so how do I reactivate the
File-Delete... command? I've checked all the macros in my Personal.XLS file,
and I don't see any of them disabling any commands.
--
Ed

"Ed White" wrote in message
| All of the sudden, when I pull up any workbook in Excel (new or previously
| created), when I click Edit-Delete..., the Delete... is grayed out so that
| cannot select it. Further, I have for icons across the top of Excel for
| deleting and inserting rows and columns. The icons to insert and delete
rows
| work, and the icon to insert a column works, but the icon to delete a
column
| is grayed out (i.e. nothing happens when you click on it.) All of this
| worked before. What the heck could have changed this?
| --
| Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Excuse me, I meant Edit-Delete..., not File-Delete...
--
Ed

"Ed White" wrote in message
| All of the sudden, when I pull up any workbook in Excel (new or previously
| created), when I click Edit-Delete..., the Delete... is grayed out so that
| cannot select it. Further, I have for icons across the top of Excel for
| deleting and inserting rows and columns. The icons to insert and delete
rows
| work, and the icon to insert a column works, but the icon to delete a
column
| is grayed out (i.e. nothing happens when you click on it.) All of this
| worked before. What the heck could have changed this?
| --
| Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi

Firstly, I think you may try to open the Excel application which will open
a Book1.xls.
In this point, was the menu enabled?
Also you may try to run the macro below to enable the delete button.
Sub Test()
Dim o As CommandBarButton
Set o = Application.CommandBars("Worksheet Menu
Bar").Controls("Edit").Controls("Delete...")
o.Enabled = True
End Sub

But I am not sure why the button will be disable, I am not sure if the code
above will take effect.
If so, I think you have to delete the xlb and reset the toolbar setting.

Best regards,

Peter Huang
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Ed-

Try running this macro. It will enable all "Delete..." menu items and tool
buttons.

Sub a()
Dim Ctrls As CommandBarControls
Dim Ctrl As CommandBarControl
Set Ctrls = CommandBars.FindControls(, 478)
If Not Ctrls Is Nothing Then
For Each Ctrl In Ctrls
Ctrl.Enabled = True
Next

Jim
"Ed White" wrote in message
| Indeed, if I rename the XLB file, the File-Delete... option becomes
available
| when I restart Excel. However, I have spent considerable time customizing
my
| icons, and I don't want to start over again, so how do I reactivate the
| File-Delete... command? I've checked all the macros in my Personal.XLS
file,
| and I don't see any of them disabling any commands.
| --
| Ed
|

| "Jim Rech" wrote:
|
| If you run a macro that disables any menu command that setting could
have
| been saved in your custom toolbar file. You might check this by
renaming
| your XLB file (with Excel closed) as that Excel does not reload it and
you
| get default menus and toolbars. It's typically found at:
|
| C:\Documents and Settings\<user name\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel
|
| --
| Jim
| "Ed White" wrote in message
| | All of the sudden, when I pull up any workbook in Excel (new or
previously
| | created), when I click Edit-Delete..., the Delete... is grayed out so
that
| | cannot select it. Further, I have for icons across the top of Excel
for
| | deleting and inserting rows and columns. The icons to insert and
delete
| rows
| | work, and the icon to insert a column works, but the icon to delete a
| column
| | is grayed out (i.e. nothing happens when you click on it.) All of
this
| | worked before. What the heck could have changed this?
| | --
| | Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Superb! It worked...thanks.