Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Can I use "or" in a select case construct?

Hi all,

As part of a larger macro which performs custom autofiltering using
shortcut key I am trying to use an "Or" operator in one of my "case is
lines.

Currently I have the following code which is used after identifyin
that the left character of the "InitialFilterValue" (dimmed as a strin
& sourced from an input box) is "<".

Select Case Left(InitialFilterValue, 2)
Case Is = "<"
GoTo MakeStringPrefixDoubleLeft
Case Is = "<="
GoTo MakeStringPrefixDoubleLeft
Case Else
GoTo MakeStringPrefixSingleLeft
End Select

In the interests of optimising my code & because the first two case
have the same action, is it possible to combine the first two case
using something like...
" Case is = "<" Or "<=" "?

FYI, when I try the above line I get the error message "Run time error
13 type mismatch". I've dimmed InitialFilterValue as a string becaus
there will be other situations when I am attempting to filter tex
strings.

Also in the interests of optimising my complete code is anyon
interested in reviewing it & making suggestions?

btw, it is not as complete as Ron DeBruin's "easy filter
http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm
but it is quick & effective (apart from dates, which can stil
sometimes cause issues) wrt what I need - a keyboard activated custo
filter.

I'll try any suggestions when I get a chance in the morning,
Thanks in advance,

Rob Brockett
NZ
Always learning & the best way to learn is to experience..

--
broro18
broro183's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3006

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

you don't use "is" here.

I cant't explain all that there is to "is",
and I doubt if I would be able to.

Use a comma for "or", like:

Dim s As String
s = "<"
Select Case s
Case "<=", "<": MsgBox "< or <="
End Select

--
Greetings from Bavaria, Germany

Helmut Weber, MVP WordVBA

Win XP, Office 2003
"red.sys" & Chr$(64) & "t-online.de"
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Helmut,

Thankyou, for the quick response - it works well.

Vielen Dank für Ihre Hilfe
(courtesy of http://babelfish.altavista.com/tr)
:-)
Rob Brockett
NZ
Always learning & the best way to learn is to experience...

--
broro183
broro183's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30068
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=519094

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Select Case Left(InitialFilterValue, 2)
Case "<", "<="
GoTo MakeStringPrefixDoubleLeft
Case Else
GoTo MakeStringPrefixSingleLeft
End Select

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"broro183" wrote in
message ...

Hi all,

As part of a larger macro which performs custom autofiltering using a
shortcut key I am trying to use an "Or" operator in one of my "case is"
lines.

Currently I have the following code which is used after identifying
that the left character of the "InitialFilterValue" (dimmed as a string
& sourced from an input box) is "<".

Select Case Left(InitialFilterValue, 2)
Case Is = "<"
GoTo MakeStringPrefixDoubleLeft
Case Is = "<="
GoTo MakeStringPrefixDoubleLeft
Case Else
GoTo MakeStringPrefixSingleLeft
End Select

In the interests of optimising my code & because the first two cases
have the same action, is it possible to combine the first two cases
using something like...
" Case is = "<" Or "<=" "?

FYI, when I try the above line I get the error message "Run time error:
13 type mismatch". I've dimmed InitialFilterValue as a string because
there will be other situations when I am attempting to filter text
strings.

Also in the interests of optimising my complete code is anyone
interested in reviewing it & making suggestions?

btw, it is not as complete as Ron DeBruin's "easy filter"
http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm
but it is quick & effective (apart from dates, which can still
sometimes cause issues) wrt what I need - a keyboard activated custom
filter.

I'll try any suggestions when I get a chance in the morning,
Thanks in advance,

Rob Brockett
NZ
Always learning & the best way to learn is to experience...

--
broro183
broro183's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=519094

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks Bob,

Helmut couldn't explain - are you able to explain why it doesn't need
the "case is" form, what does the "is" means & show me an example of
when that form should be used?

I can't understand the help file in Excel 2002 which states:
"expressionlist-n Required if a Case appears. Delimited list of one or
more of the following forms: expression, expression To expression, Is
comparisonoperator expression. The To keyword specifies a range of
values. If you use the To keyword, the smaller value must appear before
To. Use the Is keyword with comparison operators (except Is and Like) to
specify a range of values. If not supplied, the Is keyword is
automatically inserted."

Also in the interests of optimising my complete code (recently rebuilt
& not completely tested yet), do you have any suggestions of where I
should/could post it for others to review & make suggestions?

TIA
Rob Brockett
NZ
Always learning & the best way to learn is to experience...

--
broro183
broro183's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30068
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=519094

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Rob,

Do not forget the help file is only providing a singleton condition, you
want multiple conditions in a single Case statement. The other thing to
understand is that multiple conditions are evaluated separately, that is the
connection is a logical OR not a logical AND, so your OR is redundant,
Because of this , the format for multiple conditions is

Case "<", "<=" "

If used, the Is keyword precedes any comparison operator, not the any. So in
this instance, the syntax is

Case Is = "<", Is = "<=" "

I just don't use them, that is why response was worded as I did.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"broro183" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Bob,

Thankyou, that makes sense to me.
I think I'll follow your lead of "I just don't use them...".

Cheers