Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Sorting database with images inserted in cells

Hi!

In a plant I' working in I'm building a machinery preventive maintenance
database. In the various fields i need to:

a) Identify the department in which the machine is located
b) Identify the machine
c) Take a picture for each machine
d) Identify what needs to be done on the machine
e) Assign a priority
f) Indicate the date of the assesment
g) Indicate on a scale of 1 to 5 how fast the maintenance can be done
h) Indicate a date of realization

Essentially, I would like to be able to do various sorting of this database
(by priority, the fastest/easiest maintenance that can be done (or the
hardest), by department etc...). However, when I insert all the info in a row
and I put an image in a cell, once I do a sort the image stays in the
original cell that I put it in, it won't follow the rest of the data. Any
ideas on how I can achieve this?

--
Thanks !

Greywolf
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Greywolf,

Place the image in a comment.
Comments sort with the cell.
Debra Dalgleish shows how here...
http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlcomments02.html#Picture

Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Greywolf" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Jim!

Thanks for the tip. I should've mentionned that once the database is sorted,
I would like the image to be present at all times and "fitted" in the cell
that it was inserted in. Any ideas on taking this a step further?
--
Thanks a million! (not dollars unfortunately!!)

Greywolf

"Greywolf" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Greywolf,

I just did some experimenting.
If all of the row heights are the same size and
the pictures are fitted into the cell borders (use the alt key) then
the pictures sort with the data.

Jim Cone

"Greywolf" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Great! Last question Jim.

I will need to print this database to show our maintenance supervisor
repairs and or modifications to various machines that are in the database.
Will I be able to print the pages of the database along with the pictures?

--
Thanks again!

Greywolf

"Greywolf" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Tried Print Preview, images are not there and when printing images aren't
there either (they are in the database though).
--
Greywolf

"Jim Cone" wrote:

G,
Why not try printing a page?
Jim Cone

"Greywolf" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Greywolf,
What is the .PrintArea set to ?

NickHK

"Greywolf" wrote in message
Tried Print Preview, images are not there and when printing images aren't
there either (they are in the database though).
--
Greywolf

"Jim Cone" wrote:

G,
Why not try printing a page?
Jim Cone

"Greywolf" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

G,
Right-click picture, select Format Picture, on the Properties tab,
check Print object.
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Greywolf" wrote in message
Tried Print Preview, images are not there and when printing images aren't
there either (they are in the database though).
Greywolf

"Jim Cone" wrote:
G,
Why not try printing a page?