Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Excel VBA to VB.NET conversion

I have the following code in Excel VBA that I'm trying to convert to VB.NET:

Workbooks.OpenText(Filename:= _
"C:\temp.txt", Origin:=437, StartRow:= _
1, DataType:=xlDelimited, TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, _
ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False, TAB:=False, Semicolon:=False, Comma:=True _
, Space:=False, Other:=False, FieldInfo:=Array(Array(1, 2), Array(2, 2), _
Array(3, 2), Array(4, 1)), TrailingMinusNumbers:=True)

I've converted everything except the array portion (arrColumnDataType shown
below with ???). I'm having a problem coming up with the proper array in
VB.NET to put in this code:

Dim xlApp As New Excel.Application
xlApp = CType(CreateObject("Excel.Application"), Excel.Application)
xlApp.Application.Visible = True
Dim strReportName As String = "C:\temp.txt"

??? How do I define arrColumnDataType ???

xlApp.Workbooks.OpenText(strReportName, 437, 1, _
Excel.XlTextParsingType.xlDelimited, _
Excel.XlTextQualifier.xlTextQualifierDoubleQuote, False, False, False, _
True, False, False, False, arrColumnDataType, , , , , True)

I know that the array is defined as (column number, format) where format is:
Excel.XlColumnDataType.xlGeneralFormat = 1
Excel.XlColumnDataType.xlTextFormat = 2
Excel.XlColumnDataType.xlMDYFormat = 3
Excel.XlColumnDataType.xlDMYFormat = 4
Excel.XlColumnDataType.xlYMDFormat = 5
Excel.XlColumnDataType.xlMYDFormat = 6
Excel.XlColumnDataType.xlDYMFormat = 7
Excel.XlColumnDataType.xlYDMFormat = 8
Excel.XlColumnDataType.xlSkipColumn = 9

I just can't seem to get a proper array setup that the compiler likes. Does
anyone have a suggestion? Has anyone coded this type of project with success.
I'm using VS 2005, but I just upgraded about two weeks ago. Is there an
easier way in 2.0? Thanks
--
Lost in the Vast Sea of .NET
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I always like to follow-up even if a posting that I made is unanswered.
Sometimes when you're looking for a programming answer on a message board and
you find the exact problem you're having, it is disheartening when there was
no answer posted.

Here is the solution that I received on another message board
http://gotdotnet.com/Community/Messa...&Page=1#363383

Hope someone benefits from the answer in the future.

--
Lost in the Vast Sea of .NET

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

yes this is a recent problem in all the newsgroups. people cut off all the
threads and post only their response; like
"this is the brilliant solution" full stop. the brillinat solution is not
avilable immediately. you have to go to google groups search and key in the
subject and then you get the whole thread.