Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default VLOOKUP but return a different row

Hi,

I am trying to match a part number with a separate .csv file to update
inventory. My dilemma is I am using VLookup to accomplish this but
there has been some changes to the .csv file format and now the
inventory on hand is on a separate row with the part number. Now if my
understanding is correct, since the vlookup function can only return
values from the same row it will not work with what I need...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

TIA~

--
cultgag
cultgag's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22677

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

one way would be to seperate the cell using
Data=text to columns
select comma , if the files join together all the time when they are
updated, you could always record a macro that would do this routine
then you would assign it to a button!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,

I'd Use MATCH (similar parameters to vlookup) to return the row & either
INDIRECT or INDEX to return the values of the cell(s) in the row below by
incrementing the result of the MATCH by 1.

Regards,

Chris.

--
Chris Marlow
MCSD.NET, Microsoft Office XP Master

"cultgag" wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to match a part number with a separate .csv file to update
inventory. My dilemma is I am using VLookup to accomplish this but
there has been some changes to the .csv file format and now the
inventory on hand is on a separate row with the part number. Now if my
understanding is correct, since the vlookup function can only return
values from the same row it will not work with what I need...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

TIA~

--
cultgag
cultgag's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22677
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=517385

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I would be more inclined to go with index over indirect for purely
performance reasons. Indirect is volatile and will slow thing down... Here is
a good reference...

http://www.decisionmodels.com/optspeede.htm
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"cultgag" wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to match a part number with a separate .csv file to update
inventory. My dilemma is I am using VLookup to accomplish this but
there has been some changes to the .csv file format and now the
inventory on hand is on a separate row with the part number. Now if my
understanding is correct, since the vlookup function can only return
values from the same row it will not work with what I need...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

TIA~

--
cultgag
cultgag's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=22677
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=517385

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

the index with the match function works great!

Thanks for the replies! :)