Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default On error...

Is there a way for Excel to skip reporting an error if a function
doesn't work? More specifically I once saw the use of the command "on
error resume next" which as it stands I have very little clue as to
what it does.

Regardless...

Code:
--------------------

Private Sub Refresh_Click()
Dim i As Integer
ActiveWorkbook.UpdateLink Name:=ActiveWorkbook.LinkSources

For i = 10 To 39
addComment (Cells(i, "B"))
Next i
End Sub

--------------------

This is my code. I receive an *"Method 'UpdateLink' of object
'_Workbook' failed"* error when the source and the destination sheets
are both open and the "refresh" button is clicked. This will very
rarely happen when the users are actually using the files, but in the
rare case that it does I'd rather they be able to still update links
without receiving the error.

Is there a way to either ignore the error, or a different way to update
the links which would avoid the error completely?

THanks in advanced.

--
ph8
ph8's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=19871

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

On Error Resume Next has the effect of ignoring errors and continuing on to
the next command. It can be very useful, but it has to be used with caution,
resetting as a minimum with On Error Goto 0, at some point, otherwise all
errors will get ignored, even those you don't.

Which error do you want to ignore, and why?

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"ph8" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I can understand how ignoring errors is probably not the best habit t
form when coding. So I guess maybe if there was a way to avoid th
error altogether that would be the best bet.

I get the error when both the source and destinatino spreadsheets ar
open on the same computer and I try to update the links with tha
particular line of VBA code which updates the link
ActiveWorkbook.UpdateLink Name:=ActiveWorkbook.LinkSources). The erro
I get is "-Method 'UpdateLink' of object '_Workbook' failed-."

That code is on the destination spreadsheet. WHere formula links exis
in the cells. But when I have both this destination spreadsheet an
source spreadsheet open (on the same computer). When the source fil
is opened on a different computer (ala network) or when its closed th
function performs flawlessly

--
ph
ph8's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=1987

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

In that instance, try just wrapping it with error statements as I showed

On Error Resume Next
ActiveWorkbook.UpdateLink Name:=ActiveWorkbook.LinkSources
On Error Goto 0

This should mitigate against any further problems,. The other option is to
test whether the file is open, if so, don't issue the update.
--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"ph8" wrote in message

I can understand how ignoring errors is probably not the best habit to
form when coding. So I guess maybe if there was a way to avoid the
error altogether that would be the best bet.

I get the error when both the source and destinatino spreadsheets are
open on the same computer and I try to update the links with that
particular line of VBA code which updates the link (
ActiveWorkbook.UpdateLink Name:=ActiveWorkbook.LinkSources). The error
I get is "-Method 'UpdateLink' of object '_Workbook' failed-."

That code is on the destination spreadsheet. WHere formula links exist
in the cells. But when I have both this destination spreadsheet and
source spreadsheet open (on the same computer). When the source file
is opened on a different computer (ala network) or when its closed the
function performs flawlessly.

--
ph8
ph8's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=517217

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for your help, Bob!

One last question. Just to confirm. That code will ONLY skip the error
for that particular line of code? It won't disable error reporting for
other errors I may get for various reasons?