Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Date Calculations

Simple Question I hope.....not for me obviously.

I have a field that puts in the current month formatted as 02. I need
to take that number and multiply it by a payment to get a current
balance due for the year.

For example 02 (current month) x 283.8 (payment) = 567.60

Right now the date format in the 02 is returning a goofy number.

Any ideas?

THANKS!

--
denileigh
denileigh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30211

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hard to tell what you are doing, but if I format the cell as MM and put in
an actual date, then in the immediate window, these queries show the
situation:

? activecell.Text
02
? activecell.NumberFormat
mm
? activecell.Value2
38760
? activecell.Value
2/12/2006

so the actual number stored in the cell is 38760 which is the date serial
for the date I entered 2/12/2006.

If you want to multiply by the month number then (assume the cell is B9) use

=month(b9)*283.8

Tom Ogilvy

"denileigh" wrote
in message ...

Simple Question I hope.....not for me obviously.

I have a field that puts in the current month formatted as 02. I need
to take that number and multiply it by a payment to get a current
balance due for the year.

For example 02 (current month) x 283.8 (payment) = 567.60

Right now the date format in the 02 is returning a goofy number.

Any ideas?

THANKS!

--
denileigh
denileigh's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=516891

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello,

Use
=MONTH(02) * 283.8

HTH,
Bernd

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sure that is what you meant:

? MONTH(02)
1

Perhaps you meant

=Month(B9)*283.8

where B9 holds a date (and displays 02) [ as an example ]

Tom Ogilvy

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello,

Use
=MONTH(02) * 283.8

HTH,
Bernd

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,
These worked for me:

A1=Date =27/02/2006
B1 == = Month(A1)*283.8 (B1 formatted as general)
C1=Month(A1) (formatted as general)
D1== = C1 * 283.8 (D1 formatted as general)

XL2003

HTH

"denileigh" wrote:

Simple Question I hope.....not for me obviously.

I have a field that puts in the current month formatted as 02. I need
to take that number and multiply it by a payment to get a current
balance due for the year.

For example 02 (current month) x 283.8 (payment) = 567.60

Right now the date format in the 02 is returning a goofy number.

Any ideas?

THANKS!

--
denileigh
denileigh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30211
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=516891

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

WOHOO! It worked like a charm!

THANKS BUNCHES

--
denileig
denileigh's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3021

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Tom,

Yes. I like to abbreviate and I expect the OP's to think (and they do
:-)

Regards,
Bernd