Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default return pageBreaks

Here is a simple code I've written that returns page break locations, but
only those page breaks that I've inserted manually. It won't return page
breaks that Excel inserts automatically. If I try to get these page breaks I
get the message, "subscript out of range. Can anybody tell me why? And how to
use this type of simple code to get automatic page breaks?

Sub pageBreakA1C1()

'will find only those page breaks that were manually inserted
'won't find those inserted automaticall by Excel

Dim myPageBreakA1C1
myPageBreakA1C1 =
ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(1).HPageBreaks(2).Locati on.Address(, , xlR1C1)
Range("A3").Select
Selection = myPageBreakA1C1
Range("A4").Select
Range("A3").ClearContents

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

JCIrish,
Not sure what you are trying to achieve with the code but you will only be
to work with HPageBreaks(2), if it exists, hence the Subscript error.
To work with all Hbreaks:
Dim myHPageBreak As HPageBreak
For Each myHPageBreak In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(1).HPageBreaks
With myHPageBreak
Debug.Print "Manual ? : " & CBool(.Type = xlPageBreakManual)
Debug.Print "Location : " & .Location.Address(, , xlR1C1)
End With
Next
End Sub

"JCIrish" wrote in message

Here is a simple code I've written that returns page break locations, but
only those page breaks that I've inserted manually. It won't return page
breaks that Excel inserts automatically. If I try to get these page breaks

get the message, "subscript out of range. Can anybody tell me why? And how

use this type of simple code to get automatic page breaks?

Sub pageBreakA1C1()

'will find only those page breaks that were manually inserted
'won't find those inserted automaticall by Excel

Dim myPageBreakA1C1
myPageBreakA1C1 =
ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(1).HPageBreaks(2).Locati on.Address(, , xlR1C1)
Range("A3").Select
Selection = myPageBreakA1C1
Range("A4").Select
Range("A3").ClearContents

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi, NickHK
Thanks for the very useful response. I'm new at this. The last two lines of
my code were put there simply to let me step through it several times,
clearing the results and changing the HPageBreaks() subscript to observe the
results. I just wanted to know where all the page breaks occur. I see the
logic of what you've written and I will try that. I've not run into the code,
"Debug.Print", so, not yet having tried it, I don't know what it does. Ditto
for the line,"Next." Can you tell me something about these lines?

Again, thanks a lot for giving a rookie a hand.

JCIrish

"JCIrish" wrote in message

Here is a simple code I've written that returns page break locations, but
only those page breaks that I've inserted manually. It won't return page
breaks that Excel inserts automatically. If I try to get these page breaks

get the message, "subscript out of range. Can anybody tell me why? And how

use this type of simple code to get automatic page breaks?

Sub pageBreakA1C1()

'will find only those page breaks that were manually inserted
'won't find those inserted automaticall by Excel

Dim myPageBreakA1C1
myPageBreakA1C1 =
ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets(1).HPageBreaks(2).Locati on.Address(, , xlR1C1)
Range("A3").Select
Selection = myPageBreakA1C1
Range("A4").Select
Range("A3").ClearContents

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

JCIrish,
Debug (or Immediate) is one of the Windows you have available to see direct
output from your app, or test results.
If it is not visible, go to ViewImmediate
Look there to see the result of any Debug.Print statements.

As for "Next", it marks the end of the "For Each..." block. Check the help
for loops.

NickHK

"JCIrish" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks again, NickHk. Since I recently started with VBA, winging my way
through it, I bought a book to help the process. I got hung up on this
pageBreak problem, which is really tangential to my main concern, and your
post was very helpful. I'm grateful. (I still can't, however, return page
breaks that are automatic!)
Thanks,

JCIrish

"JCIrish" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

JCIrish
Just a guess, but you do have more than 1 page to print, without any manual
pagebreaks ?
Otherwise, there will not be any automatic page breaks ?
Also, how are you testing if they are automatic ? Something like my code
below, but with xlPageBreakAutomatic ?

NickHK

"JCIrish" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

NickHK
Ah,yes.all that could be (especially multi pages to print without manual
breaks). I'll try it out. Many Thanks
JCIrish