Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default EXCEL CACHING ...

Hello,
As you asked, I revert to the subject:
I've tried all of the suggestions : they all work sucessfully.
Only the FindKill of Bernie Deitrick poses problem because of the "myfile*"
which, in this case, cannot be precisely defined.
So : a big thank you

NOW: In this specific case, I came to think that a full refresh was not
necessary.
In fact, IF I could just access two cells of the web-site resident .xls
file, I could accomplish my update as well.

QUESTION: how can I get the contents of
http://www.MYSITE.be/TestPHP/profsactual.xls
Range ("AJ64") and Range("AK64")
(my Excel 97 SR-2 is localized in French and I keep using Excel97 when
developing for others just for compatibility reasons)
I think this could be done even without opening the file ?

Another one more way would be to access to the mysql dbase from which the
..xls file is derived : but, here again, this might pose problems when porting
to different users who don't necessary have the right references checked.

This is really an interesting thread and I do appreciate the collaboration
of all of you.
regards from Belgium.
Hervé+

This was posted by Tim Williams:

From: Tim Williams - view profile
Date: Sat, Feb 8 2003 10:11 pm
Email: "Tim Williams" <saxifrax@pacbell*dot*net
Groups: microsoft.public.excel.programming

Have not tried it with an .xls file, but the following always works with web
content (.html etc)

file2 = "http://mysite/myfile.xls?blah=" & Format(Time, "hhmmss")
Workbooks.open filename:= file2

The dummy querystring forces a reload rather than a fetch from the cache,
since it's considered part of the URL. It's ignored by the webserver
however.

Tim.

====
I've never used it.

If you try it, please post back with your results.

affordsol wrote:

Hi everyone !

In my Excel application, I use the following code to get a table from my web
site:
Sub ReadWeb()
Workbooks.OpenText FileName:="http://www.MYSITE.be/TestPHP/profsactual.xls"
End Sub

To my greatest surprise, the output does NOT reflect the actual changes done
to that file !

Is Excel using some "caching" as IE does ????

Thanks and regards from Belgium,
Hervé+

--

Dave Peterson