Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Is Excel "caching" pages ?

Hi everyone !

In my Excel application, I use the following code to get a table from my web
site:
Sub ReadWeb()
Workbooks.OpenText FileName:="http://www.MYSITE.be/TestPHP/profsactual.xls"
End Sub

To my greatest surprise, the output does NOT reflect the actual changes done
to that file !

Is Excel using some "caching" as IE does ????

Thanks and regards from Belgium,
Hervé+
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes, I believe it is. (more precisely, the caching mechanism is being shared
by both applications). You will need to delete the file in the cache
before retrieving I would think.

Tom Ogilvy

"affordsol" wrote in message
Hi everyone !

In my Excel application, I use the following code to get a table from my

web
site:
Sub ReadWeb()
Workbooks.OpenText

FileName:="http://www.MYSITE.be/TestPHP/profsactual.xls"
End Sub

To my greatest surprise, the output does NOT reflect the actual changes

done
to that file !

Is Excel using some "caching" as IE does ????

Thanks and regards from Belgium,
Hervé+

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello Tom, nice to hear from you again !

Have any idea of how to code it so as to delete the file in the cache ?

regards from Belgium,
Hervé+

"affordsol" wrote in message
Hi everyone !

In my Excel application, I use the following code to get a table from my

web
site:
Sub ReadWeb()
Workbooks.OpenText

FileName:="http://www.MYSITE.be/TestPHP/profsactual.xls"
End Sub

To my greatest surprise, the output does NOT reflect the actual changes

done
to that file !

Is Excel using some "caching" as IE does ????

Thanks and regards from Belgium,
Hervé+

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Here is some code posted previously by Bernie Deitrick:

-------------------------------
Wijnand,

Here's a little sub that will remove the temporary files
named myfile*.*. Just make sure your path is correct, and
change the name to match your needs. (And the msgbox lines
are just for troubleshooting initially.)

HTH,
Bernie

Sub FindKill()
With Application.FileSearch
.NewSearch
.LookIn = "C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files"
.SearchSubFolders = True
.FileName = "myfile*"
.FileType = msoFileTypeAllFiles
If .Execute() 0 Then
MsgBox "There were " & .FoundFiles.Count & " file(s)
found."
For i = 1 To .FoundFiles.Count
Kill .FoundFiles(i)
Next i
Else
MsgBox "There were no files found."
End If
End With
End Sub
------------------------------

Tom Ogilvy

"affordsol" wrote in message
Hi everyone !

In my Excel application, I use the following code to get a table from

my
web
site:
Sub ReadWeb()
Workbooks.OpenText

FileName:="http://www.MYSITE.be/TestPHP/profsactual.xls"
End Sub

To my greatest surprise, the output does NOT reflect the actual

changes
done
to that file !

Is Excel using some "caching" as IE does ????

Thanks and regards from Belgium,
Hervé+

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This was posted by Tim Williams:

From: Tim Williams - view profile
Date: Sat, Feb 8 2003 10:11 pm
Email: "Tim Williams" <saxifrax@pacbell*dot*net
Groups: microsoft.public.excel.programming

Have not tried it with an .xls file, but the following always works with web
content (.html etc)

file2 = "http://mysite/myfile.xls?blah=" & Format(Time, "hhmmss")
Workbooks.open filename:= file2

The dummy querystring forces a reload rather than a fetch from the cache,
since it's considered part of the URL. It's ignored by the webserver
however.

Tim.

====
I've never used it.

If you try it, please post back with your results.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello,
As you asked, I revert to the subject:
I've tried all of the suggestions : they all work sucessfully.
Only the FindKill of Bernie Deitrick poses problem because of the "myfile*"
which, in this case, cannot be precisely defined.
So : a big thank you

NOW: In this specific case, I came to think that a full refresh was not
necessary.
In fact, IF I could just access two cells of the web-site resident .xls
file, I could accomplish my update as well.

QUESTION: how can I get the contents of
http://www.MYSITE.be/TestPHP/profsactual.xls
Range ("AJ64") and Range("AK64")
(my Excel 97 SR-2 is localized in French and I keep using Excel97 when
developing for others just for compatibility reasons)
I think this could be done even without opening the file ?

Another one more way would be to access to the mysql dbase from which the
..xls file is derived : but, here again, this might pose problems when porting
to different users who don't necessary have the right references checked.

This is really an interesting thread and I do appreciate the collaboration
of all of you.
regards from Belgium.
Hervé+