Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default call external macro

Does anybody know the syntax to execute
a function stored in a .XLA file.

I have tried with

[projectname].[module].functionname

but i get an error.

Thanks

--
gm139
gm139's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26951
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510211

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This was posted by Rob Bovey:

Application.Run "'YourAdd-in.xla'!YourSubName", Arg1, Arg2, ....

Just for completeness, if the routine is a function and you want to capture
the return value, you write it as

x = Application.Run("'YourAdd-in.xla'!YourSubName", Arg1, Arg2)

========
Another alternative would be to add a reference to your workbook that points at
your addin.

Give your addin a nice unique project name (not VBAProject) and then with your
other workbook's project active:

Tools|references|
click on that addin's project.

Then you can use your functions/subs in the addin just like they were part of
that same project.

gm139 wrote:

Does anybody know the syntax to execute
a function stored in a .XLA file.

I have tried with

[projectname].[module].functionname

but i get an error.

Thanks

--
gm139
gm139's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26951
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510211

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I have tried your second suggestion, that is exactly what I would like
to do.

In my .xla add-in I have a subroutine called "Import".

When I try to run it from my workbook I get an error.

What is the syntax to be used to call a sub or function in an xla
file?

I have tried several different syntax but no one works.

--
gm139
gm139's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26951
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510211

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

What did you try?

I would have guessed that:
x = Application.Run("'YourAdd-in.xla'!YourSubName", Arg1, Arg2)

would have worked fine.

gm139 wrote:

I have tried your second suggestion, that is exactly what I would like
to do.

In my .xla add-in I have a subroutine called "Import".

When I try to run it from my workbook I get an error.

What is the syntax to be used to call a sub or function in an xla
file?

I have tried several different syntax but no one works.

--
gm139
gm139's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26951
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510211

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hello Dave,

Thanks a lot because I was looking for a similar problem,
something like :
x = Application.Run("'D:\...\YourAdd-in.xla'!YourSubName", Arg1, Arg2)

and it wasn't working while I didn't use the "'" character...

Best regards, Sylvain

Dave Peterson a écrit :
What did you try?

I would have guessed that:

gm139 wrote:

I have tried your second suggestion, that is exactly what I would like
to do.

In my .xla add-in I have a subroutine called "Import".

When I try to run it from my workbook I get an error.

What is the syntax to be used to call a sub or function in an xla
file?

I have tried several different syntax but no one works.

--
gm139
gm139's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26951
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=510211

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Remember that the other workbook has to be open--so drop the drive/path stuff.

sylvain wrote:

Hello Dave,

Thanks a lot because I was looking for a similar problem,
something like :
x = Application.Run("'D:\...\YourAdd-in.xla'!YourSubName", Arg1, Arg2)

and it wasn't working while I didn't use the "'" character...

Best regards, Sylvain

Dave Peterson a écrit :
What did you try?

I would have guessed that: