Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default URGENT, help needed.

I am getting ...

Cannot find the file '<full path name to the .XLS file I click on' (or one
of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all
required libraries are available

This occurs when I try to open any XLS file in Excel2002.

What is wrong? I made a simple change to the end of one of my macros that
would change the Print area for one of the outputs. And Excel went nuts with
enlarging every cell to 1"x1" and skipped the routine that would re-allow
screen updates. I think what I had done was try to apply formatting to the
Activesheet which in this case was not the correct activesheet. That is
fixed now through excel2000. at the time in excel2002...The only way out was
to TaskList close excel. the "X" out button tried to save something and the
hourglass never went away.

The same file I was working on does open and process all my macros exactly
as they should in excel2000.

I can "OK" through the message and excel is loaded with my commandbars, the
sheet area is grey (no sheet loaded) but then I can then click on any of the
commandbar buttons to run any of my macros and all seems to be just fine. I.E
the data appears, the SQL recordset populates the sheet. All formatting is
done, the upload to mainframe button activates as normal, the shell to FTP
runs perfectly. It appers 100% normal, except for that error message upon

How do i find out what is missing at startup of excel?

John
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi,
What about the Ignore Other Application setting?
menu Tools Options, tab General, make sure the Ignore Other
Applications is unchecked (NOT checked.)
Sébastien
<http://www.ondemandanalysis.com

"John Keith" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Is that the same setting controlled by Application.IgnoreRemoteRequests=true

I have my AutoOpen setting this to True, because I do not want someone to
launch any other XLS file that would open in the same instance of excel (I
have taken over and hidden ALL of the menubars and designed one that has
buttons specific to my application).

Then the AutoClose sets it back.

I have noticed that using explorer to dbl-click the file.xls causes the
error. Opening Excel then choosing the file (from a file open dialog or from
the recent file list) does not cause the error.

Hmmmmm just tried it all again and I can not make the error occur. (at
all) perhaps that setting you suggested DID need to be False for one load
and unload to cause the registry settings to normalize back to the proper
state. I am storing the options and visible command bars in the registry on
open, setting the app like I need (1 bar only) then the AutoClose restores
the settings that were saved.

Assuming that your suggestion was talking about that setting... then it
worked THANKS!!

If not... Hmmmm again. (but still THANKS!)

John