Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default If statement for a combo box

In one of my subroutines I want to test for an option in a certia
combobox. It doesn't matter which option the user has choosen, jus
that they have chosen one at all.

How do I word the If statement to test for this.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Amber :confused

--
Amber_D_Law
Amber_D_Laws's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3001

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

This check the length of the text in the combobox...

If CBool(Len(ComboBox1.Text)) Then
MsgBox "Something"
Else
MsgBox "Nothing"
End If

Just change ComboBox1 to the name of your combobox...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Amber_D_Laws" wrote:

In one of my subroutines I want to test for an option in a certian
combobox. It doesn't matter which option the user has choosen, just
that they have chosen one at all.

How do I word the If statement to test for this.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Amber

--
Amber_D_Laws
Amber_D_Laws's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30012
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=509553

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thank You Jim,

What you have seems to make sense, but I am unfamilar with "CBool" and
"Len". What exactly do these functions(?) do?

This question is of course out of pure curiosity. The meat of the
matter is that presumably the code you provided will test for any
selection in the combobox by testing for any lenght of text. Which if I
am reading what you wrote correctly, means that I can just paste in the
code I have written (the stuff I want it to do if the user has made a
selection in the combo box) into where you have MsgBox "Something".
Right?

Regards,
Amber:)

"Amber_D_Laws" wrote:

In one of my subroutines I want to test for an option in a certian
combobox. It doesn't matter which option the user has choosen, just
that they have chosen one at all.

How do I word the If statement to test for this.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Amber

--
Amber_D_Laws

Amber_D_Laws's Profile:

View this thread:

Amber_D_Laws
Amber_D_Laws's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30012
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=509553

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

CBool is like Cint or CStr. It converts what you have to a data type. In this
case a boolean. This works because in a computer 0 is false and everything
else is true. So if the lenght is 0 CBool returns False. If the length is
anything other than 0 then CBool returns True. You could also write the
function...

If Len(ComboBox1.Text)0 Then
MsgBox "Something"
Else
MsgBox "Nothing"
End If

Either way is just fine.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Amber_D_Laws" wrote:

In one of my subroutines I want to test for an option in a certian
combobox. It doesn't matter which option the user has choosen, just
that they have chosen one at all.

How do I word the If statement to test for this.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Amber

--
Amber_D_Laws

Amber_D_Laws's Profile:

View this thread:

Amber_D_Laws
Amber_D_Laws's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30012
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=509553

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

For an ActiveX combobox from the Control toolbox toolbar, if you limit the
selection to items in the list you can use

if Combobox1.ListIndex < -1 then
' as selection has been made

If you don't want to allow type in entries (required an item in the
list -they can still type that item in), you should set its properties so
they are not allowed.

Tom Ogilvy

"Amber_D_Laws"
wrote in message
news:Amber_D_Laws.22vppa_1139349003.9848@excelforu m-nospam.com...

In one of my subroutines I want to test for an option in a certian
combobox. It doesn't matter which option the user has choosen, just
that they have chosen one at all.

How do I word the If statement to test for this.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Amber

--
Amber_D_Laws
Amber_D_Laws's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=509553

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Makes perfect sense Jim. I appreciate the explination. However, it leads
me to a second question.

What does "Len" mean in coding terms?

Amber

"Amber_D_Laws" wrote:

In one of my subroutines I want to test for an option in a

certian
combobox. It doesn't matter which option the user has choosen,

just
that they have chosen one at all.

How do I word the If statement to test for this.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Amber

--
Amber_D_Laws

Amber_D_Laws's Profile:
View this thread:

Amber_D_Laws

Amber_D_Laws's Profile:

View this thread:

Amber_D_Laws
Amber_D_Laws's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30012
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=509553

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

The Len function returns the length of a string.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Amber_D_Laws" wrote:

In one of my subroutines I want to test for an option in a

certian
combobox. It doesn't matter which option the user has choosen,

just
that they have chosen one at all.

How do I word the If statement to test for this.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Amber

--
Amber_D_Laws

Amber_D_Laws's Profile:
View this thread:

Amber_D_Laws

Amber_D_Laws's Profile:

View this thread:

Amber_D_Laws
Amber_D_Laws's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30012
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=509553

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jim,

Why is it that the simplest things can make us feel so stupid. I mean,
well... duh.... Len=Length, my god could it be more obvious. Sometimes
I think I must not be thinking when I ask these things. :)

Thanks!

"Amber_D_Laws" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sorry I didn't respond sooner Tom, your comment kinda slipped by me.

So, after reading... Which property controls if the user can use typed
in entries or not? I have wanted to change that, but I didn't know I
could.