Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Version Control for Excel Add-in

I have an Excel Add-in that has been around for about 6 years. We have
had problems with spreadsheets that were created with older versions. I
would be so beneficial to determine what version they were created
with.

I know that I could set a property on each worksheet created setting a
self-created version number. I had also thought about adding an "About"
on our menu that displayed the version of the add-in.

Has anyone done anything like this? Is there a better way to set a
version for an add-in and the sheets that use it? Is there a more
automated way than to manually set a constant value for the version
within the code? Any input on this would be appreciated..

Thanks PM

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

PM,

I would test the add-in in xl97 and modify it so
it works with xl97. It should then work with
all later versions of Excel...however, you should test it
in the later versions before releasing it on your users.

It is generally not practical to create an add- in that
works with both pre and post xl97 versions.

Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA