Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Problem with CPU Usage 100% related to stored external queries

Hi -

I have a strange VBA response time problem. I hope someone can help.

I have a workbook "tickers" that has a VBA program that goes to Yahoo's
quoteserver to get stock quote information. It seems to work fine in
terms of accessing the info.

After it was running all day, I noticed that it is now very slow to
respond when I click anywhere on the two worksheet pages that receive
the downloaded info. The workbook behaves fine when I click on any of
the other worksheet pages, and my other workbooks are work too. But in
either of the worksheets in question, it takes several seconds from
when I click in on a cell until the cell actually shows up as active.
Checking windows task manager, I can see that CPU usage is 100%
whenever either of these particular worksheets are in the foreground,
but negligable otherwise.

I tried the obvious stuff, closing everything and rebooting, turned
off page updating, turned off recalculation, even opened the file
without enabling macros and still, it's slow.

One big clue: the workbook accesses data from the Yahoo quote server.
I have switched off "Update remote references" in the
optionscalculation dialog, but after I save, close, and reopen the
file the "update remote references" option is switched on again!!!
And the two pages which are slow both use remote references. When I
select these worksheets and deleted their contents, including the
reference, the CPU usage drops back to normal and the responsiveness
problem goes away! Why do the remote references get locked on like
this? Is there a way to have the spreadsheet just keep the data and
not the references? (The references are created in the Macro so I don't
need them stored in spreadsheet.)

Any thoughts?

TIA,
David