Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default I am trying to find X in the formula X+(X*i)=Y+S

I´m trying to write a formula in excel but I can´t find the way to obtain the
result!
Maybe this kind of operation is not available in excel but I would like to
know if It is possible.
X=? the values of i, Y and S are known.
X+(X*i)=Y+S
Best Regards

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...el.programming
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Grüezi Jorge

Jorge schrieb am 02.02.2006

Maybe this kind of operation is not available in excel but I would like to
know if It is possible.
X=? the values of i, Y and S are known.
X+(X*i)=Y+S

This kind of operation is not available - you have to 'redisign' your
formula in an algebraic way that X is alone on one side of the '='-Sign.

A possibility is the following:

X=(Y+S)/(1+i)

now you can repalce the variables with cell-references.

Regards
Thomas Ramel (@work)

--
- MVP for Microsoft-Excel -
[Win XP Pro SP-2 / xl2000 SP-3]
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi
This one is easy, X = (Y+S)/(1+i)
I suspect you mean to solve X + X^i = Y + S

This can be solved using GoalSeek:
1. Put any value of X you like in A1 eg 1. Put values of i, S and Y in
A2, A3 and A4 respectively
2. In A2 write the formula = A1+(A1*A2)-A3-A4
(so that you are solving X + (X*i) - S - Y = 0)

3. Go to Tools, GoalSeek.. and set Cell A2 to 0 by changing cell A1.

regards
Paul

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Jorge,
I do like the algebraic solution. However, there are some cases when
you can't solve your equation algebraically or when it's beyond your
abilities to solve. In those cases, I'd suggest that you use the Goal
Seek tool.

I set up a simple spreadsheet like this:

A1: X B1: 3.3
A2: i B2: 2.5
A3: y B3: 4.1
A4: s B4: 8.7

Then I added a formula in A6, which is the left-hand side of your
equation:
A6: =B1+B1*B2.

And a formula in B6, which is the right-hand side of your equation:
B6: =B3+B4

And then a difference in C6:
C6: =A6-B6

When C6 is 0, you will have a solution for your equation.

Here's how to use the Goal Seek tool:
From the menu, choose Tools - Goal Seek...

Fill in the Goal Seek pop-up as follows:
Set cell: C6
To value: 0
By changing cell: B1

Excel will iterate until it finds a solution, and replace B1 with
3.647143. If it cannot find a solution, it will tell you as much.