Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default How do I sum scattered entries on an Excel worksheet?

I would like to be able to locate all of one type of entry on a spreadsheet
and sum the accompanying entered values. Example: Users enter mutliple
entries for SMITH job in the NAME column(A) and a value of 1.5 in the HOURS
column(B) associated with it. They do this various times on this worksheet,
but not in sequence. How can I LOCATE all of the scattered SMITH entries in
the NAME column and SUM the associated VALUES in the HOURS column, giving me
all of the hours entered for the SMITH job?
EXCEL 2002 SP3
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Use the SUMIF function - see help for specifics, along the lines of

=SUMIF(A:A,"SMITH",B:B)

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP