Old August 8th 07, 05:14 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I find duplicate entries in a column in an Excel worksheet?

I am working with Excel 2000. I have two columns. Column A contains a
Procedure number and column B contains the associated fee. Each procedure
should only be represented once. My goal is to identify instances where a
procedure is repeated (duplicate entries), so that I can determine which
entry is correct. If you are familiar with Access, I am basically trying to
achieve in Excel, the same thing that a "Find Duplicates" query does in
Access.

Old August 8th 07, 05:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In column C, or another available column, put a formula like this in the
first row with values in A to be examined, then fill the formula on down the
sheet to the end of the list:
=IF(COUNTIF(A$1:A$7,A1)1,"Duplicated","")
Change A$1:A$7 to include your whole range in column a, as perhaps A$2:A$1504

If you can put that in column C, and if there are entries all the way down
the sheet in column B, then you can quickly fill it by moving the cursor to
the lower right corner of the cell with the formula in it until it becomes a
thick + symbol instead of the normal fat cross, then double-click the left
mouse button to fill it all the way to the end.

Old August 9th 07, 04:22 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I find duplicate entries in a column in an Excel worksh

Thank you so much JLATHAM, you rock! This helped a lot. FYI, the formula as
written shows "duplicated" if the line above it is a duplicate, so if the
duplicate records are not consecutive it would not work. I changed the "A1"
reference to "A2" so that it would display "duplicated" only if that
particular line was a duplicate record!

Old September 17th 08, 06:03 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I want to find duplicates, but they are student names so I need to include 2
columns in the formula. ie first name in column b, last name in colum c.
How can I incorporate two colums? Please reply to
Thanks for your help.

Old September 17th 08, 09:35 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In column D enter

=B1 & " " & C1

Double-click the fill handle to increment down D

Use the countif formula in column E by changing cellrefs to column D

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Old November 20th 08, 02:13 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello. I am trying to identify duplicates in column A and compared to column
B. The data starts with a text letter, i.e. A1234. How do I search these two
rows to see if there are any duplicates?

Old November 20th 08, 04:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You could use this formula in column C to see if the value in column A of that
row matches any value in column B:

=countif(b:b,a1)0
(if you see true, then you have a duplicate)

And same kind of thing in column D:
=countif(a:a,b1)0
to see if B1 shows up in column A.

Old December 1st 08, 05:33 PM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm working with over 5,000 lines, so I wanted a simpler fix.
Found it he http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/213355

I've never used a Macro before, but found it was easy to do by following
these steps taken from Excel help:
1. On the Tools menu in Microsoft Excel, point to Macro, and then click
Visual Basic Editor.
2. On the Insert menu, click Module.
3. Type or copy your code into the code window of the module.
4. In the module window, press F5. (Before pressing F5 be sure you've
selected the first line of the column you want to check for duplicates--in
Excel.)

(Copy and paste the following Macro into Visual Basic, and press F5.)

Sub FindDups ()
'
' NOTE: You must select the first cell in the column and
' make sure that the column is sorted before running this macro
'
ScreenUpdating = False
FirstItem = ActiveCell.Value
SecondItem = ActiveCell.Offset(1, 0).Value
Offsetcount = 1
Do While ActiveCell < ""
If FirstItem = SecondItem Then
ActiveCell.Offset(Offsetcount,0).Interior.Color = RGB(255,0,0)
Offsetcount = Offsetcount + 1
SecondItem = ActiveCell.Offset(Offsetcount, 0).Value
Else
ActiveCell.Offset(Offsetcount, 0).Select
FirstItem = ActiveCell.Value
SecondItem = ActiveCell.Offset(1,0).Value
Offsetcount = 1
End If
Loop
ScreenUpdating = True
End Sub

F5 runs the macro script, and your duplicate lines should be marked in red.
Good Luck!

Old January 4th 09, 02:47 AM posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I fond this very useful, I needed to create a list of Students with their
parent's name listed once. The raw list had the parent's name listed with
each of their kids, I used the formula to clear the parent's name on their
subsequent children.

Thanks again!