Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default how create library of routines?

Thanks for any help.
I have some functions that I have made and that I have copied from generous
souls like you, that I would like to call from my Excel modules at times.
What is the best way to link/add-in/whatever them? Do they become .dll's or
..xla's or .bas's?
I can copy and paste to the module each time I need it, but then if I have a
lot of files that use it, I have to go and change each one if I need to
change something. I remember C has libraries, does VB have something like
that?
Thanks again.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I personally tend to just import and export modules. But as you have pointed
out you end up making improvements to the modules and then you have to
re-import them into you existing projects. You can create an XLA and
reference that but then you can run into some difficulties if you want to
distribute your spreadsheets. A Dll is nice but then you need a method to
create and distribute the dll to anyone you want to ditribute your
spreadsheets to. You could create an addin to check for existing modules
whenever a spreadsheet is opened and replace the module with the most current
version, but then you can not protect your projects. In short there is no
really good answer.
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson