Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default File not opening

Hi,

I'm using Excel 2000. I have a huge excel file of over 4MB in size with
links to other files. When I'm trying to open this file, it shows the prompt
- to select "Yes" or "No" - for whether I want to update the links or not. As
soon as , I click Yes or No, it shows an error message that "Excel caused
some error and closing the program". I'd faced similar issues earlier
sometime back and sought help here. At that time, the file was without links
to other files and on opening there was no prompt like this time. That time,
I was advised to save the file as Microsoft Excel 95 and it worked. However,
this time, it is not allowing me to save that file as Microsoft 95 as be
default that prompt pops up and I can't proceed further unless I click Yes or
No. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Manish Bajpai
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Make a back up copy of the file by copying it with Windows explorer, then do
your work on the copy:
Try opening it with code

sub OpenMyfile()
Workbooks.Open "C:\Myfolder\MYFile.xls", UpdateLinks:=0
End sub

then, if successful, try to clean up or remove your links, or copy out what
you need.

Tom Ogilvy