Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Macro slow after 2003 upgrade

We recently updated from Office XP to Office 2003. With the upgrade, our
Excel macro performance has degraded considerably. Macro time has increased
as much as 10x in some cases. The hardware has not changed and no other
programs have been installed. I have checked the terminal server and PC we
run them on and they are running at the same levels of performance as before
the upgrade. I assumed it is some setting in Excel that has changed but I
can find no information if one exists. Any help would be sincerely
appreciated.

Thanks,
--
Nate Moeller
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Have you found a solution to this problem? I'm having the same problem and
have been able to speed it up a bit by turning page breaks off (Tools |
Options | View tab | uncheck Page Breaks). It was off in 2002 and on in 2003.
That didn't completely solve the problem, and I'm still searching.

"Nate Moeller" wrote:

We recently updated from Office XP to Office 2003. With the upgrade, our
Excel macro performance has degraded considerably. Macro time has increased
as much as 10x in some cases. The hardware has not changed and no other
programs have been installed. I have checked the terminal server and PC we
run them on and they are running at the same levels of performance as before
the upgrade. I assumed it is some setting in Excel that has changed but I
can find no information if one exists. Any help would be sincerely
appreciated.

Thanks,
--
Nate Moeller

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Yes, we had to turn off Calculation and turn it on when it was actually doing
Calculation and we also had to turn off screen updating. Once we did that,
it seemed to go away.
--
Nate Moeller

"Nate Moeller" wrote:

We recently updated from Office XP to Office 2003. With the upgrade, our
Excel macro performance has degraded considerably. Macro time has increased
as much as 10x in some cases. The hardware has not changed and no other
programs have been installed. I have checked the terminal server and PC we
run them on and they are running at the same levels of performance as before
the upgrade. I assumed it is some setting in Excel that has changed but I
can find no information if one exists. Any help would be sincerely
appreciated.

Thanks,
--
Nate Moeller

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the update, Nate. I found that turning off Calculation and Screen
Update didn't make any difference. After turning off Page Breaks and doing
some code optimization, I've gotten the macro which runs in two seconds in
2002 to run in 20 seconds in 2003. I guess I can live with this. If it gets
worse, I'll do some more research.