Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Inserting foreign/special characters from a database

I'm extracting a record set from an oracle database but I am getting th
following error on specific records when trying to insert a string fro
the database into a cell:

Run-time error: '1004'
Application-defined or object-defined error

It failed on one record so I excluded and then failed again on another
In both instances it was when trying to insert a string which containe
the "§" character.

ActiveCell.Offset(R, 7).Value = rsOra![Summary]

When importing you get to choose your "File Origin" which as
understand is to define the character set to use, however, I can't fin
an option to check what character set is currently being used or t
change it. I may be on the wrong path though.

If anyone has any thoughts on the subject, I would appreciate th
help!

Thanks
Kell

--
kfooti
kfootit's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3035

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

OK - please ignore. It was to do with the fact that it was recognising
the row as the start of a function. Workaround was to place an
apostrophe in front to force it as a text insert.

--
kfootit
kfootit's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30355

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

try this

ActiveCell.Offset(R, 7).Value = "'" & rsOra![Summary]

The change is a single quote character between double quotes. That inserts
the value as text; should resolve this.

Good luck.

--
www.alignment-systems.com

"kfootit" wrote:

I'm extracting a record set from an oracle database but I am getting the
following error on specific records when trying to insert a string from
the database into a cell:

Run-time error: '1004'
Application-defined or object-defined error

It failed on one record so I excluded and then failed again on another.
In both instances it was when trying to insert a string which contained
the "§" character.

ActiveCell.Offset(R, 7).Value = rsOra![Summary]

When importing you get to choose your "File Origin" which as I
understand is to define the character set to use, however, I can't find
an option to check what character set is currently being used or to
change it. I may be on the wrong path though.

If anyone has any thoughts on the subject, I would appreciate the
help!

Thanks
Kelly