Posted to sci.electronics.design,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Keeping the exponent at a fix value in Excel

Hi

When formatting in Scientific, how can you keep the exponent constant and
allow the decimal point to move?
For example

If I have:
6.647E-03
1.741E-02
8.378E-02

How do I ensure that Excel keeps the E to E-3 and adjust the decimal point?

Cheers

WayneL

Posted to sci.electronics.design,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 17:49:01 GMT, "WayneL"
wrote:

Hi

When formatting in Scientific, how can you keep the exponent constant and
allow the decimal point to move?
For example

If I have:
6.647E-03
1.741E-02
8.378E-02

How do I ensure that Excel keeps the E to E-3 and adjust the decimal point?

Cheers

WayneL

Don't use "Scientific", use "Engineering" notation.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I can't guarantee that it will always be to the -3, but I can guarantee that
it will be an "engineering" prefix that is some multiple of 3 (i.e. kilo,
micro, pico, giga, etc.)

Format the cell(s) in question with the Custom format of ##0.0E+0 (this is
one of the predefined Custom formats).

It wasn't my original idea; I think Jim Thompson showed me how to do it a
few years ago.

Jim

"WayneL" wrote in message
Hi

When formatting in Scientific, how can you keep the exponent constant and
allow the decimal point to move?
For example

If I have:
6.647E-03
1.741E-02
8.378E-02

Posted to sci.electronics.design,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Could please let me know how to format in Engineering notation?
I have been in Format = Cell and there is not Engineering on Scientific.

Cheers

WayneL
"Jim Thompson" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

Hi

When formatting in Scientific, how can you keep the exponent constant and
allow the decimal point to move?
For example

If I have:
6.647E-03
1.741E-02
8.378E-02

How do I ensure that Excel keeps the E to E-3 and adjust the decimal
point?

Cheers

WayneL

Don't use "Scientific", use "Engineering" notation.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice:(480)460-2350 | |
| E-mail Address at Website Fax:(480)460-2142 | Brass Rat |

Posted to sci.electronics.design,microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.programming,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 18:21:21 GMT, "WayneL"
wrote:

Could please let me know how to format in Engineering notation?
I have been in Format = Cell and there is not Engineering on Scientific.

Cheers

WayneL

[snip]

Format - Cells - Number - Custom