Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Drop Down List

I have two worksheets, "WS1" and "WS2".
On WS1 there are two columns with the headings "ID" and "NAME" (The
values for these start on row 3 and end in row 50).
On WS2 I have a cell, G10.
On WS2 i wish to add a drop down list, and in the list, will be all the
values from WS1, Column B3 thru B50('NAMES' column).
When i select a name in the list, I wish for the drop down list to
display in cell G10, the ID from column A3 thru A50 on the same row as
the choice in the drop down list.

I tried this in excel, but the only thing I could get the drop down
list to display in cell G10 was the row number of the name I selected.

I also tried making G11 display the results of the drop down list and
putting this formula in G10, and I just get "N/A":
=INDEX(WS1!A3:A50,MATCH(G11,WS1!B3:B50,0))

Any ideas?

--
cbrd
cbrd's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30009

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi you need to select the whole list of names and then type in the cel
display window (the one to the left of the formula bar) a name for you
range, do this for the ID range too, once you have done this click th
cell you would like a drop down list of names in and then choose DAT
from the menubar, now choose VALIDATION click the drop down arrow o
the ALLOW box and select LIST, now type =LIST (where LIST would be you
range name but it must be spelt exactly the same as you named it). Yo
should now be able to click the cell you selected for the drop down an
a dropdown arrow should appear for you to make your selection, no
repeat the excersise for the next list.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Simo

--
Simon Lloy
Simon Lloyd's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...nfo&userid=670

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the response.

Since the List of names is in WS1 and the drop down list box will be in
WS2, I dont think I can use "Data Validation"?

--
cbrd
cbrd's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30009
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=498666

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Sure you can!

Just follow the procedure i gave you but when you choose a cell to add
the list validation to choose it on the WS2 page, so your list may be
on WS1 column A and your cell that the data appears in can be on WS2!

Give it a go, it worked for me.

Regards,

Simon

--
Simon Lloyd
Simon Lloyd's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6708

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Thanks for the help.
I didnt have the list sorted in ascending order, so it wasnt working
right. Now all is well...Thanks again!

--
cbrd
cbrd's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30009
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=498666

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Well I was wrong, it wasnt working correctly.

http://www.ashleylandscaping.com/sample.xls

I posted a sample there (theres a few worksheets in there). Im workin
on the sheet "Make - Invoice". You will see a drop down list to th
middle right. When I selesct a name in the drop down list, it shoul
put a Customer ID # in cell G10. When this happens it fills in th
customer address and such, but it doesnt fill in the unpaid inf
starting on line 16 (it gets this info from sheet "Job History".

Right now I have cell I11 displaying the info from the drop down lis
and manually typing in G10. I hope I explained it right

--
cbr
cbrd's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=3000