Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default changing addin extensions

I've made some workbook-specific addins. I distribute them to other users
besides myself.

I'd like to change the extensions on these addins from "xla" to another
three-letter extension. I'd like to know if this will cause any problems in
Windows or Excel. I'm not talking about coding issues, but just wondering
if changing the extensions could cause the addins not to work as well as if
I kept the default extension.

These addins are running on XL 2000 on up.

Thanks,

Doug

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

RBS,

I actually got the idea from Peter T. in his response to your post on
"Biggest Commercial xla File," so thanks. I'm still interested to know if
there are any risks, but if I don't hear anything back to this post I'll
just try it and find out for myself.

Doug

"RB Smissaert" wrote in message
Didn't know you could do that, but it seems to works fine
with a different extension!

RBS

"Doug Glancy" wrote in message
I've made some workbook-specific addins. I distribute them to other

users
besides myself.

I'd like to change the extensions on these addins from "xla" to another
three-letter extension. I'd like to know if this will cause any

problems
in Windows or Excel. I'm not talking about coding issues, but just
wondering if changing the extensions could cause the addins not to work

as
well as if I kept the default extension.

These addins are running on XL 2000 on up.

Thanks,

Doug

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I think the benefit that Peter mentioned was that the addins would be
disguised.

I've been working for a while on an addin manager that checks all
opened/activated workbooks to see if they have an associated addin. I check
a CustomDocumentProperty of the workbooks against all the addin names in a
folder. I was thinking that having a unique extension would help minimize
the chance of another addin coincidentally having the same name. This is
already quite unlikely, though.

Also, I just thought it would be cool <g.