Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Changing the Name of an Addin and loading worksheets off a network drive

Hi there All

I have two questions for you guys, both are related. I'm sure many o
you have experienced similar problems, and perhaps have come across
solution which I haven't been able to.

1) I have to change the name of my excel addin file, and I have a whol
host of users with spreadsheets utilising my functions. The function
will not change, simply the name of the add-in file.

But, as I'm sure you know, once the add-in name has changed, ol
spreadsheets will still try and use the old non-existant add-in, an
excel will generate a function call starting like
"='c:\tool\addin.xla!<insert previous function'

Now this is easily corrected manually by simply removing the fil
reference, as the same functions are still available, only in
different addin file.

The problem is my users are not very excel literate or patient and jus
expect things to work immediately. As soon as they don't, they'l
generally just give up and/or call someone to come fix it!

Does anyone have a clever way to get around this problem? I have bee
racking my brain for one, but none have presented themselves.

2) My second question also involves excel not finding the correc
function. This time it occurs when a file which works perfectly on you
local drive is copied to a network drive, and then opened up fro
there. This time excel generates a horrid path in an attempt to fin
the stray add-in. NB: This does not involve a change in the name of th
addin.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a bunch to all who have taken the time to read this, even if yo
can't offer any succor!

Mik