Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Biggest commercial .xla file?

Wonder what the largest available commercial .xla file is.
I have one that is a bit over 3.5 Mb, with only code and forms and no
comments or blank lines at all.
Would this be a record?

RBS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Well, the comments and blank lines are removed for the commercial file, but
I have plenty of comments etc. in the
working file.
Also to mention that there is nothing in the sheets, but I have quite a bit
code and a big form in ActiveX dll files.

RBS

"Doug Glancy" wrote in message
.. .
I don't know, but it must be a bear to debug!

Doug

"RB Smissaert" wrote in message
Wonder what the largest available commercial .xla file is.
I have one that is a bit over 3.5 Mb, with only code and forms and no
comments or blank lines at all.
Would this be a record?

RBS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

About 3 years.
At one stage I thought I had come to the maximum possible size, but after
some reorganisation I think there is still room left to make it bigger. Of
course there is always the option to shift more code to dll files.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Bart,

That's quite a chunk! Is that fully compiled, if so does it need to be. I
find best compromise between size and first run speed is to run Rob Bovey's
code cleaner, then run one routine in each "frequently used" module, then
save. Might reduce size by say 30% with no discernible loss of performance.
See Don Baarns' comments -

http://archive.baarns.com/excel/develop/vbaperfm.asp
There are no links on that page, so -
http://archive.baarns.com/IE4/index_devonly.asp

If all this is in a single installed xla means user will have it loaded in
each Excel session, whether or not it's going to be used. Would it be viable
to break code into a few smaller referenced xla's. Only one, the main, an
installed addin and others opened as/if required and closed if unlikely to
be needed again. Xla extensions could be disguised and renamed *.myext. Just
a thought.

Regards,
Peter T

"RB Smissaert" wrote in message
Wonder what the largest available commercial .xla file is.
I have one that is a bit over 3.5 Mb, with only code and forms and no
comments or blank lines at all.
Would this be a record?

RBS

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Hi Peter,

That is fully compiled and I run Andrew Baker's WB Rebuilder after every
edit and compile.
I already have one other .xla file (not referenced as I found that was more
trouble) and a loader
..xla file.
Startup speed is not a problem, so I don't think it is worth it to break it
up in more .xla files.
Actually the main, big .xla file (just over 3.5 Mb) is not loaded as an
add-in, but it will be opened
by the loader .xla and this loader .xla is the only .xla file that is
installed as an add-in. This loader is
quite small, just 52 Kb.
The big .xla file is on a server and used by several workstations.
Un-installing the loader .xla (Tools, Add-ins) will remove all files and
references (to the dll files)
and installing it will put it all back again.

Can't really see any problem with the whole setup, but I am always
interested in improvements
where possible.