Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default GetObject equivalent for IE

Is there anyway/alternative method of using GetObject for Internet Explorer?

Is there a workaround for GetObject? I saw some things yesterday but it
seemed to involve downloading something, which doesn't work for me at work
(we're not supposed to use downloaded things etc). And IE doesn't add
itself to the existing applications listing (or whatever it's called) like
programs that are associated to file extensions - excel, word, adobe etc.

Basically, I want to target an existing IE window, the name of it will be
unique, and then from there, either copy the contents of that web page into
a cell, or be able to target a textbox on that page called xxfundsxx (for
example) to return the contents of that textbox into a variable.

Navigating to the page and then getting the data (which I can do, but is not
possible in this situation) won't work due to it being an IE based
application that is always the same web page, but it extracts data for
different accounts etc when it is opened. Has to be from an existing window.

Cheers.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

'Find an IE window with matching location and get a reference
' to the document object from the loaded page. Assumes no frames.
Function GetHTMLDocument(sAddress As String) As Object

Dim objShell As Object, objShellWindows As Object, o As Object
Dim retVal As Object, sURL As String

Set retVal = Nothing
Set objShell = CreateObject("Shell.Applicatio*n")
Set objShellWindows = objShell.Windows

'see if IE is already open
For Each o In objShellWindows
sURL = ""
On Error Resume Next
sURL = o.Document.Location
On Error GoTo 0
If sURL < "" Then
If sURL Like sAddress & "*" Then
Set retVal = o.Document
Exit For
Next o

Set GetHTMLDocument = retVal
End Function

Tim

"spaceman" wrote in message
[...]

GetObject error 429 Brian Delaney Excel Programming 3 August 23rd 05 03:37 PM
GetObject function R Avery Excel Programming 3 October 5th 04 07:20 PM
GetObject Michael Excel Programming 3 June 16th 04 01:28 PM
GetObject-question Tom Excel Programming 1 June 10th 04 05:17 PM
Excel Getobject error Jaya Excel Programming 4 July 17th 03 07:13 PM