Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Default Storing all macros in one workbook

Would it be wise to store all macros in one workbook in order to open the one
source and access your macros from "All Open Workbooks" so to not have to
remember which file you used/saved it in previously?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Missy

That's what Personal Macro Workbook is all about.

Store your macros in Personal.xls, place it in your XLSTART folder and it will
open when Excel is started.

Personal.xls is created the first time you record a Macro using Macro
Recorder.

ToolsMacroRecord New Macro. A dialog box will come up asking you name the
macro and where to place it. Pick Personal Macro Workbook from the dropdown.
Copy and paste a couple of cells then Stop Recording.

You now have a Personal.xls in your Office\XLSTART folder. You can go to
Visual Basic Editor(Alt+F11) to view the macro you just recorded in a Module.

You can add more macros by recording, typing or copying into the Module.

You can do a FileSave from there or better yet hit ALT + Q to return to the
Excel window.

Then with Personal.xls active, hit WindowHide.

When you close Excel you will be asked if you want to save Personal.xls. Yes!

It will open hidden next time you start Excel.

I prefer to place my global macros in an add-in so I don't have to preface
macros with the Personal.xls filename.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Fri, 9 Dec 2005 12:00:04 -0800, MissyLovesExcel
wrote:

Would it be wise to store all macros in one workbook in order to open the one
source and access your macros from "All Open Workbooks" so to not have to
remember which file you used/saved it in previously?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

I had seen that Personal.xls but was unsure how to use it. I'm familiar with
recording macros but not that knowledgable. Looking to learn more about
Visual Basic and programming them so I can be even more fierce (or dangerous)!
Thanks a ton.

wrote:

Would it be wise to store all macros in one workbook in order to open the one
source and access your macros from "All Open Workbooks" so to not have to
remember which file you used/saved it in previously?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Missy

See David McRitchie's website for "getting started with macros and VBA".

Note the tutorial links at the bottom of the page.

Gord

wrote:

Would it be wise to store all macros in one workbook in order to open the one
source and access your macros from "All Open Workbooks" so to not have to
remember which file you used/saved it in previously?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.programming

Missy-
It is true that Personal is a great place for you to store all your macros.
However, if you intend on others to use your macros as well, then one
workbook to store them in works great.

Let me explain before someone pops a top and starts to say why I am wrong.
If you would like others to use the macros that you send time making, I am
sure that you made them to help you increase your productivity to some
degree. This should hold true for others are well then, that they could
benefit from what you have made. Or if the case is that you have a common
task that has to be worked often, a macros workbook is a great idea. If the
workbook contains the macros and you set them up to work on other
spreadsheets, a macro workbook works wonders. It allows you to have one place
to make changes or updates to your macros as well as one common place to find
them. Having a toolbar attached to that workbook is very helpful as it will
load when someone opens the workbook for the first time. Lastly, if you ever
send your files to someone, your macros will not be included and thus a
smaller file size for sending. If this interests you and anyone, please
contact me if you would like more info.

David