Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default storing macros ?

If you create macros in on file/workbook...is there a way to store them
somewhere so they can be used in any other similar workbook that might be
created ? Can you store them in some file and then import/export them to
other files ?

Thanks, Tim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
save your macro to a workbook named Personal.xls then save that file to the
xl start folder. on my pc the xl start folder is at....
c:\program files\microsoft office\Office10\xlstart
the personal file should be hidden and will open on starting excel and all
macros in the personal workbook will be available. in my personal i have
about 9 macros, 6 of which i run from a custom menu.

hope this helps
regards
FSt1

"Tim" wrote:

If you create macros in on file/workbook...is there a way to store them
somewhere so they can be used in any other similar workbook that might be
created ? Can you store them in some file and then import/export them to
other files ?

Thanks, Tim

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

As Fst1 points out, storing the macros in Personal.xls is a good idea which
makes them available for all open workbooks.

You may have to edit them if they have sheet names or range nameshardcoded.

I personally like to store them in an Add-in so's I don't have to preface them
with the Personal.xls!macroname.

Macroname does the job.

As far as import/export, for info only................

With VBE open you can expoert entire modules to a *.bas file then import that
*.bas file as a module into a project.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP